Conor McGregor using strict nutritional programme to be in shape for Floyd Mayweather bout
Conor McGregor created the 'McGregor Fast Programme', a rigourous nutritional programme, after his first defeat in the UFC, and says adapting that to hone his body for the boxing match with Floyd Mayweather has put him in the shape of his life.
"We created the 'McGregor Fast Programme' a cardio training programme, after I suffered my first defeat in the UFC to Nate Diaz," explained McGregor.
"We formulated it for the Diaz rematch and he was a triathlete with a big weight advantage and he could go for days. He had an unrivalled gas tank. We came up with special formula and we created the McGregor fast programme and I've been on that since a week after that first loss."
"Since then I have had two bouts and this will be the third one. I've been on this programme over a year now and you'll see the results. I'm very proud of it and excited to go in and represent the McGregor fast programme on August 26."
"We've adjusted certain timings in my cardiovascular preparation. The endurance phase has been stretched out to accommodate the twelve three minute rounds. It's actually very enjoyable. Five five minute rounds, which is 25 minutes, to 12 threes in boxing, which is 36 minutes... you've got to factor in that there's not as much grappling," he explained. "There is still grappling, but not to the extent of a mixed martial arts bout where you can end up on your back and you've got to tactically work your way back to your feet which is very draining. It's a different kind of cardio training. We've adjusted some things and I feel absolutely amazing. I've done multiple 12 round fights in the build up to this. I did 12 rounds just last night. We are more than prepared.
"I think the team I have around me has instilled confidence in me. We have a solid team. It's been a growing team and an adjusting team throughout my career."
McGregor also has a chef living with him in camp, preparing every meal several times a day. "Right now I have a nutritionist with me for this camp and he's making sure I make the weight. He's been living with me for the best part of three months now. We've had a hell of a camp. It's been one long stretch. A lot of hard hard work, a lot of dedication and focus. The focus on nutrition has been top of the range and that's why I'm in peak physical condition at this moment. We're closing in on the weight cutting phase and then we weigh in and we fight."
Nor, explained McGregor, is he any different as a person in spite of the life changing wealth he is about to create with his fight with Mayweather. "What you see with me is what you get. I am the same person on and off the camera. A lot of people say I'm not, but obviously there are different moments. I portray myself as who I am. There have been many articles and stories written but it's been ok, I suppose. I am who I am. I speak what I believe and people portray that in many ways."
August 26 cannot come quickly enough for the star of mixed martial arts. "It's another day for me. Another day of making history. Another day of doing what I have been told I shouldn't be doing or can't do. It's another mega blockbuster event. It's nothing new to me here. The only difference this time is I have a little son with me. We're here in Las Vegas as a family with my coaches and sparring partners and team who have their houses close by. For me it's just been a case of going to the gym, training really hard, I come home, I rest and chill with my family, and then I repeat. The media circus around it is the exact same."
McGregor also responded to Mayweather explaining on American television this week that there could even be rematch. Even as an MMA fight.
"I didn't hear much of what he said. As far as what he said on the world tour, he said he would step into the octagon. If he would do that, he would have my respect. Anyone willing to step into a game like that where the limitations are so short, deserves respect," said McGregor.
"Whether it's at club level in a small hall or in a big stadium. If you get into that game or any combat sport for that matter... If he wants to do that, I'll be here to grant him his rematch. Right now we're focused on putting him away August 26 and then we'll see what happens after that. I also have multiple world titles to defend and contend in the Ultimate Fighting Championship. We'll see. Maybe after he gets his ass whupped, he can try and challenge for my UFC lightweight belt.