Man United close in on deal for Fabio Coentrao
Manchester United manager David Moyes is still in talks to bring Real Madrid defender Fabio Coentrao to Old Trafford on loan for the rest of the season.
It is understood that Jorge Mendes, the Portuguese agent who has close links with United, has told the club that Coentrao, 25, is extremely keen to revive a loan move that collapsed on transfer deadline day last summer.
There was more good news for United on Saturday night as they ended a run of three straight defeats with a 2-0 win over Swansea, sealed by goals from Antonio Valencia and Danny Welbeck but inspired by another superb performance from Adnan Januzaj, who deservedly took the plaudits of his manager.
“His natural talent and ability is up there with the best and I think in time he will prove to be that,” Moyes said.
“He can play anywhere, he’s not a nervous boy.
“He is at the right club. We’ve always said he’s a really good player and we will look after him but by the way he is playing he has certainly earned his right to be in the team.”
Moyes – who for once was not watched by his predecessor Sir Alex Ferguson at Old Trafford, with the Scot staying away from his usual seat in the directors’ box – also dismissed reports that Robin van Persie, who is recovering from a thigh injury, had suffered a set-back and will be missing for the next six weeks. “I don’t know where that’s come from,” he said. “That is the wrong information.” Van Persie has been absent injured since Dec 10.
Moyes will now turn his attention to attempting to secure new faces, with Coentrao chief among them. Real have stated that they do not want the Portuguese international, who can play as a left-back or left wing-back, to go but they may relent closer to the transfer window closing.
Moyes had been unsure that Coentrao, who has barely featured for Real this season through injury, would improve his squad and had indicated that he would prefer to wait until the summer before making signings. But United’s recent run of poor results has meant he feels the need to try to make at least one significant signing this month to appease disgruntled supporters.
Mendes, who oversaw the signing of Cristiano Ronaldo, Nani and Anderson at United, has also proposed that Moyes takes another of his clients, Benfica’s Ezequiel Garay, in the summer. The champions are also considering whether to bid for another central defender, Porto’s Eliaquim Mangala, who has been tracked by Chelsea as well.
Mendes is also believed to be involved in representing Mangala and was in Manchester last week to hold talks with the United hierarchy over their transfer plans.
Signing Garay, the Argentine central defender, would be cheaper and easier than securing Mangala.
Mendes may also have been in Manchester to discuss the futures of Anderson and Nani, who have been linked with moves away this month, while Wilfried Zaha is expected to go on loan, possibly to Cardiff City.
Galatasaray, meanwhile, hope to hold further talks with Nemanja Vidic’s representatives this week over a move to Turkey.