Thursday 22 February 2018

LOI wrap: Limerick severely dent Dundalk's title hopes as Sligo go second

Dundalk manager Stephen Kenny
Dundalk manager Stephen Kenny

Dundalk title bid hit the rocks tonight with a 2-1 defeat to Limerick that allowed Sligo Rovers leapfrog them into second. Shels stay bottom while there was also bad news for UCD and Drogheda United

Dundalk’s title bid may have taken a fatal blow after they were beaten at Oriel Park by Limerick.

A first-half brace from Rory Gaffney got Limerick on their way, with the first goal coming after 17 minutes when his volley caught Peter Cherrie unawares.

His second came 18 minutes later when Gaffney escaped the offside trap and coolly slotted past Cherrie.

Heroics from Cherrie kept the score at 2-0 as he tipped Craig Curran’s shot onto the bar before the break.

Dundalk did pull a goal back midway through the second half when Sam Oji handled in the area for the visitors and Richie Towell fired home the resulting penalty.

Dundalk failed to create any meaningful chance afterwards and slipped to a costly defeat.


Shelbourne remain rooted to the bottom of the Airtricity League as they succumbed to a 2-0 defeat against Sligo Rovers at the Showgrounds.

The Bit O’Red were ahead after 25 minutes when Danny Ventre got on the end of Kieran Djilali free-kick and shot to the net.

Sligo, who leapfrog Dundalk into second in the league five points behind Pats , doubled their advantage three minutes before the break with Iarlaith Davoren finding the net.

Shels battled hard in the second period but to no avail.


UCD remain perilously close to the foot of the table after they lost 2-0 to Cork City in Turners Cross.

A brace of goals from Ian Turner inside the first 16 minutes of the game were enough for the Rebels.

Turner’s first goal came from the penalty spot as he sent Mark McGinley in the wrong direction after Gary Burke had handled in the area.

His second goal came after he cut in from the wind and unleashed a shot that took a cruel deflection off Mick Leahy and beat McGinley.


Shamrock Rovers continue to haunt Drogheda United this season as they condemned Mick Cooke’s side to a 3-1 defeat at Tallaght Stadium.

The teams must be sick of the sight of each other as they faced off at Tallaght Stadium for the second time in six days after Shamrock Rovers EA Sports Cup victory last weekend.

Scottish striker Tommy Stewart put the hosts in front after Conor Powell’s shot was parried in his direction by Drogs keeper Gabriel Sava.

Stewart’s goal was cancelled out 10 minutes later when Gavin Brennan finished off a sweeping counter-attack by beating Barry Murphy with ease.

The Hoops were dominating the early stages of the second half and regained the lead when a terrific shot from Gary McCabe found the top corner from the edge of the area on 63 minutes.

Tommy Stewart made sure of the points in the first minute of second half injury time when Mark Quigley’s shot rebounded fortuitously to the striker and he poked home from inside the six yard box.

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport