Friday 15 December 2017

LOI Wrap: Dundalk secure comeback win over 10-man Pats

St Patrick Athletic's Killian Brennan is shown a red card by referee Anthony Buttimer
St Patrick Athletic's Killian Brennan is shown a red card by referee Anthony Buttimer

A round-up of all tonight's Airtricity League Premier Division action as leaders St Pats are humbled by Dundalk and Shamrock Rovers, Derry City, Cork City and Shelbourne secure victories.

Dundalk came from behind to defeat 10-man St Patrick's Athletic and close to within six points of the league leaders at Oriel Park.

The Lilywhites's Pat Hoban and Pats Chris Forrester came close to opening the scoring early on as both sides began brightly.

The big talking-point of the first half came on 33 minutes when Killian Brennan's late lunge on Darren Meenan saw him earn a red card.

Despite their numerical disadvantage the Saints hit the front before the hour when Greg Bolger's cross was parried into the path of Christy Fagan who couldn't miss.

The Lilywhites reacted well and 10 minutes later they were level when Kurtis Byrne showed great feet to shimmy and score.

The hosts should have taken the lead five minutes later when Keith Ward earned a penalty but Byrne's tame penalty was kept out by Brendan Clarke.

Dundalk did take the lead seven minutes from time when John Sullivan's attempted cross was deflected past Clarke and that's how it finished.

Derry City have closed to within three points after they battled to a 3-2 win over Bray Wanderers at the Carlisle Grounds.

Patrick McEleney's tap-in on 12 minutes gave the Candystripes the lead but that was cancelled out by Ismahil Akinade's precise header 20 minutes later.

In the dying moments of the half Derry hit the front again with Rory Patterson the scorer and six minutes after the restart Patterson was on target again.

Dean Zambra pulled a goal back for Bray but Derry held on to close on the summit of the league.

Shelbourne secured a rare away win beating 10-man Bohemians 3-0 at Dalymount Park.

Shels took the lead in extraordinary fashion after just eight minutes when Sean Brennan embarked on a run from the halfway line, got a slice of luck along the way, before toe-poking past Dean Delaney.

Bohs were reduced to 10-men on 32 minutes when Derek Pender was harshly sent off for a late tackle on Darren Tinnelly.

Within two minutes of the dismissal Shels struck for their second goal with Dean Kelly heading home.

Kelly scored his second just after the break to copperfasten the points.

Daryl Horgan's stunning second half strike was enough to earn Cork City a 1-0 win against Drogheda United at Turner's Cross.

The first half was a close, entertaining affair with both sides creating chances but it was the hosts who finally scored on 69 minutes and what a goal it was.

Daryl Horgan brushed past the attentions of a number of Drogheda defenders before finding the top corner from a standing position. The goal was enough for all three points.

Shamrock Rovers sealed a much needed 1-0 win over Limerick at Tallaght Stadium to keep tabs on the top of the Airtricity League.

The all-important goal came on the half-hour mark when karl Sheppard met James Chambers corner with a near-post header.

Limerick battled hard after the break but were reduced to 10-men in added time when Jeffrey Judge received a red card for a high challenge on Stephen Rice.

Irish Independent Sport Star Awards

Pick our magic sports moment of the year and win a trip for two to London. To view the shortlist and cast your vote click here.

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport