| 8.4°C Dublin

Two-goal blitz turns tide for Roscommon

TWO goals in the space of three second-half minutes helped Roscommon defeat Louth at Termonfeckin on Saturday.

The Rossies flew out of the traps early on, hitting 0-4 without reply, with half-forward Gary Fallon causing Louth all sorts of trouble. However, the Wee County led 0-5 to 0-4 at the break, Brian Corcoran's finishing catching the eye.

Corcoran put Louth in control when booting the ball to the net and he increased the lead to three points after 43 minutes with another fine score.

The game turned approaching the hour mark when Tomas Seale found the net with a low effort and Jamie Lawlor also goaled three minutes later to put Roscommon ahead by 3-8 to 1-6. And despite Darren O'Hanrahan's red card and David Dunne's late goal for Louth, Roscommon held on to victory.

Scorers -- Roscommon: G Fallon 0-7 (3f), T Seale 1-1, J Lawlor 1-0, J Coyne, G Fallon 0-1 each. Louth: B Corcoran 1-4, D Dunne 1-0, S Callan 0-2, G Smyth 0-1 (1f).

ROSCOMMON -- D Dowd; I Delaney, M McLoughlin, B Donnelly; P Kellegher, C Moran, P Kelly; J Moran, S Melia; G Fallon, J Coyne, S Curley; J Lawlor, G Fallon, T Seale. Subs: P Crehan for B Donnelly (52).

LOUTH -- J Connolly; M Wallace, B Murphy, A Wallace; C Kerrigan, R Byrne, D Murphy; D O'Hanrahan, D Dunne; S Fennell, S Callan, B Corcoran; G Smyth, G Rellis, A Callan. Subs: G Kerrigan for A Callan (h-t), B Hassett for S Fennell (h-t), D McArdle for A Wallace (47), C Ryan for B Corcoran (68).

REF -- G McGrath (Dublin).

Fingal were denied a second straight win when Andy O'Brien's stoppage-time goal secured victory for Wicklow in their first competitive outing of the year.

Fingal went in at the break two points ahead after Cian O'Mahony's fine rebound goal.

Robert Sheridan nailed over the point of the second half for the home side but, with the clock ticking down, O'Brien found himself all alone and bore down on Craig Harford to make the maximum of the opportunity.

Scorers -- Wicklow: J O'Neill 0-10 (1f), D Hyland, A O'Brien 1-2 each, R Keddy 0-1. Fingal: M Ormonde 0-8 (8f), C O'Mahony 1-1, G Dillon, P McAvinue, P Daly 0-2 each, B McCarthy, R Sheridan 0-1 each.

Wicklow -- W O'Gorman; J Connors, G Keogh, T Berry; T Doyle, B Cuddihy, C O'Neill; E Kearns, R Keddy; P Keane, J O'Neill, J Murphy; A Driver, D Hyland, A O'Brien. Subs: L Kennedy for Keane (h-t).

Fingal -- C Harford; P Coyne, D Markey, A Morris; M Cussen, D Vaughan, J Winters; R McGarry, A McInerney; G Dillon, M Ormonde, P McAvinue; P Daly, C O'Mahony, B McCarthy. Subs: R Sheridan for Dillon (21), W Lawrence for McCarthy (60), N Feeney for Cussen (53).

Ref -- J Lalor (Laois).

A 69th-minute goal from Armagh's Conor Carvin gave the northern visitors a dramatic win at Carlow IT yesterday.

Declan Coulter's massive tally of 3-8 helped Armagh overturn a 3-10 to 1-12 half-time deficit in a sterling second-half performance.

Scorers -- Armagh: D Coulter 3-8, G Enright 2-4, P McCormack 0-4, R Gaffney 0-1. Carlow: P Halley 2-1, M Egan 0-5 (3f), C English 1-3, R Doyle (2f, 1 '65'), C Kenny 0-3 each, J Phelan, PJ Lawlor, S Waugh 0-2 each.

Armagh -- J Burke; JJ Hughes, C Clifford, B Makin; D Carville, N Curry, B Kirk; C Carville, J Carvin; R Gaffney, J Enright, P Gaffney, G Enright, D Coulter, P Gaffney.

Carlow -- P Ferrick; J Rigney, D Shaw, J Culhane; B Harding, R Doyle, P Walsh; P Halley, A Byrne; E Fitzpatrick, J Carroll, M Egan; C English, C Kenny, J Phelan. Subs: PJ Lawlor for Fitzpatrick (53); T Duane for Carroll (68).

REF -- G Quilty (Wicklow).

Irish Independent