Sport Hurling

Friday 23 March 2018

The game at a glance

Man of the match: Kevin Moran (Waterford): The commanding figure around midfield, he was in imperious form from start to finish, swotting Galway challenges aside as if they were no more than minor irritations.

Turning point

None. Waterford were the better side all through. However, in terms of killing off the Galway challenge, they did it impressively just after half-time, scoring five points in the first six minutes to move seven ahead.

Talking point

Galway's fragility. Waterford hurled well, but the manner in which Galway capitulated after half-time suggests there's something seriously amiss with the squad's psyche.

Ref watch

A solid enough performance by Cathal McAllister, although one first-half decision against John Mullane left the Waterford supporters furious as he appeared to have been fouled at least twice before having a free awarded against him.

What they said

Davy Fitzgerald

(Waterford manager):

"The lads could have done two things after the Tipperary defeat -- think the year was over or buckle down, work through the hurt and come back. That's what they did. They gave some performance today after what happened in the Munster final."

John McIntyre (Galway manager):

"No excuses, we were beaten by a better team. We lost out all over the field. We expected a Waterford backlash after the Munster final and prepared as best we could but we didn't perform. There was an edge to Waterford which we couldn't match."

Match statistics

Wides: Galway 11(7); Waterford 17 (9)

Frees: Galway 9 (5); Waterford 17 (10)

Yellow Cards: Galway 2 (D Hayes 15, D Collins 39); Waterford 3 (J Mullane 30, L Lawlor, P O'Mahony 60).

Red Cards: Galway 0; Waterford 0.

Attendance: 33,535

What next?

Waterford play Kilkenny in the All-Ireland semi-final on Sunday week; Galway are finished for the season.

Irish Independent

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport