Semple next target as Duffy hails success of Hawk-Eye
SEMPLE Stadium is likely to be the next stadium equipped with Hawk-Eye technology as part of a phased roll-out, according to the GAA's director-general Paraic Duffy.
In last Sunday's NHL final, Tipperary were on the receiving end of two poor umpiring decisions at the venue after a Colin Fennelly effort for Kilkenny was awarded as a point, despite having gone wide, while Noel McGrath's extra-time attempt was ruled out, despite replays showing his shot flew between the posts.
The score detection system is on a two-year trial in Croke Park which comes to an end after the current season.
Despite last year's controversy in the All-Ireland MHC semi-final where the system disallowed a Limerick point, Duffy expects the system to be adopted in full by Congress.
And Semple will be next to be fitted with the technology as the GAA start to equip championship venues around the country.
"I think it has been very successful," said the Monaghan official. "We had one hiccup here last year, but I have always said that if we sign off to retain it, we should then look as soon as we can to put it into Thurles.
"Thurles should be next, and if we can do that next year that would be great because of the huge number of important hurling games played there.
"I know there are other venues as well, but no venue holds more big hurling games than Thurles."
Duffy also warned counties that the regulations surrounding numbers on the sidelines will be enforced.
A rule introduced last year means just five non-playing personnel are allowed onto the playing area and while Duffy didn't see the exchange between Kilkenny manager Brian Cody and Tipperary officials last Sunday, he warned that Croke Park will be vigilant should those regulations be flouted.
Duffy said: "We had a very good year last year in terms of the sideline regulations. It's very important that this is maintained."
Duffy also insisted that the Association's top brass will not be issuing any directive to Connacht surrounding New York's continued participation in the senior championship after the Exiles shipped another heavy defeat to Mayo at the weekend.
"It's really a matter for New York. Connacht are very happy to have them in the championship and the teams seem to be happy to travel. From a Croke Park point of view, we have no plans to ask them to leave the championship.
"I know it's difficult for them to be competitive, but it really is a matter for New York and for the Connacht Council. It's not something that Croke Park would want to enforce an opinion on."