| 17.3°C Dublin

Royals secure revenge

IT was third time lucky for Meath as they edged Kildare 1-16 to 0-16 in Navan to secure a semi-final spot.

Meath were the better side all through and James Kelly's first-half goal was key as they avenged two defeats in the league this year.

Ahead by 1-8 to 0-7 at half-time, the home side didn't give an inch in the second half and held firm to the finish.

Three first-half goals proved enough of a cushion for London as they withstood a frantic Derry comeback to win 3-11 to 1-15 at Celtic Park.

With the Oak Leaf defence all at sea in the opening period, the Exiles looked to be on their way to comfortable victory thanks to two goals from Luke Hand, on 19 and 35 minutes, and a third from Martin Finn in first-half injury time, which left them 3-9 to 0-6 ahead at the break.

However, the introduction of Sean McCullagh and Michael Warnock in the full-back line steadied the home ship, and with Paddy Kelly orchestrating things from centre-back, they set about reeling in the visitors.

Paddy Henry's goal on 45 minutes gave them hope and they outscored London by 1-9 to 0-2 in the second half but they had left themselves with too much to do as London hung on.

Roscommon pulled away in the second half to gain a comfortable 2-19 to 1-11 quarter-final victory over a Monaghan team who finished with 13 men at Athleague.

The home team led by 1-9 to 1-6 at half-time, with the impressive Cillian Egan goaling for Roscommon after Brian McGuigan had found the net for the visitors in the second minute.

Johnny Coyne pounced for the crucial second Roscommon goal two minutes into the second half following a good move involving Egan and Shane McDermott. Monaghan duo Trevor Hillard and Mark Treanor were sent off in the last 10 minutes.

Louth produced a explosive second half to overhaul 14-man Sligo and win 3-15 to 1-9 at Markievicz Park.

Inspired by Shane Fennell, the visitors outscored their hosts by 2-9 to 0-2 after the break to book a semi-final spot in an ultimately one-sided encounter.

The clash was delayed by 30 minutes due to the enforced late arrival of referee Eamon Hasson.

Sligo, initially bright, led at half-time by a point, 1-7 to 1-6, but shot nine first-half wides, and they were ruthlessly made to pay for their profligacy.

Once the hosts fell behind to Ger Smyth's 38th-minute goal they were unable to respond.

A second booking for Damien Burke, one of their best forwards, with 13 minutes remaining all but ended their fading recovery hopes.

Sunday Indo Sport