Saturday 18 January 2020

Molloy shines as WIT shade spoils

WIT 0-14
DIT 0-12

For the second time in four days a Dublin hurling team left Waterford with their tails between their legs.

However, unlike how Dublin's senior side fared in the NHL on Sunday, for a long time in Ballygunner yesterday a major shock looked on the cards as Dublin IT put it up to competition specialists Waterford IT before eventually being edged out in an absorbing match.

WIT, who had Mark Molloy in excellent form in midfield, started very strongly and opened up an early four-point lead courtesy of two frees from Timmy Hammersley and two fine points from play by Cork's Fintan O'Leary.

It was only then that DIT decided to play, and play they did as they scored five points on the trot to go into the lead for the first time. Two of these points were scored by Dublin's Peter Kelly with two more coming from Kilkenny All-Ireland winner Willie O'Dwyer.


WIT lifted themselves and fired over four unanswered points, three of which came from Hammersley, to go in at half-time a point to the good.

DIT started the second half superbly with another point from the superb Kelly. They were then given a tremendous opportunity to take the lead when referee Michael Wadding awarded them a penalty. Unfortunately for the Dublin side, Paul Ryan's strike went over rather than under as WIT were let off the hook.

A rampant DIT, inspired by Dubs star Tomas Brady, who had a tremendous game, levelled through a fine Harry Kehoe point and then opened up a two-point lead thanks to two fantastic points from wing-back Paul Lynch and full-forward Declan O'Dwyer.

As the game edged towards the final quarter, Hammersley and DIT's David Treacy traded points. As DIT began to tire, WIT's Molloy exerted a major influence on the game. A free apiece from Hammersley and Ray McLoughney brought WIT back level before man-of-the-match Molloy put the home side ahead with a great point from distance.

Kieran Grehan then scored his first point of the game to open up a two-point lead for the home side. A free from Willie O'Dwyer briefly raised DIT hopes of forcing extra-time but the game was wrapped up in injury-time when substitute Richie McCarthy fired over for WIT.

Scorers -- WIT: T Hammersley 0-7 (0-5f), F O'Leary 0-2, K Reade, R McLoughney (0-1f), M Molloy, K Grehan, R McCarthy 0-1 each. DIT: W O'Dwyer (0-1f), P Kelly 0-3 each, P Ryan 0-2 (0-1f, 0-1 pen), H Kehoe, P Lynch, D O'Dwyer, D Treacy 0-1 each.

WIT -- A Power; B Kenny, S Fives, N Connors; W Hutchinson, E Barrett, PJ Rowe; M Molloy, W O'Dwyer; F O'Leary, K Reade, R Goode; T Hammersley, K Grehan, R McLoughney. Subs: R McCarthy for Goode.

DIT -- T McGarry; P Phelan, J Walsh, C O'Shaughnessy; F Cullen, T Brady, P Lynch; J Clarke, P Hartley; P Kelly, W O'Dwyer, D Treacy; P Ryan, D O'Dwyer, H Kehoe. Subs: D Molloy for Clarke, P Morris for Kelly.

Ref -- M Wadding (Waterford).

Irish Independent

The Left Wing: Leinster's weak point, Johann van Graan's future and Doris vs Deegan

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport