| 0.9°C Dublin

Liddy puts St Pat's to sword

James Liddy was the hero for Galway-Mayo IT as he drilled home a last-gasp goal to snatch victory in this Group C tie at Carnmore, Galway yesterday.

St Pat's looked certain of securing a home quarter-final when Paudie Kehoe edged them in front with a 50-yard free as the game slipped into stoppage time.

But GMIT staged one final rally with Colin Egan breaking through the middle and setting up Liddy. The Newmarket-on-Fergus player could have shot an equalising point but he soloed through and blasted low into the net.

It was the second goal of the game for the Clare man -- he also fired home four minutes after the restart following a passing movement which started deep inside the GMIT half.

That goal levelled the game after St Pat's had led by 1-5 to 0-5 at the break thanks to a goal from JJ Farrell after 25 minutes -- he slotted a rebound home after Kehoe's shot had been saved by GMIT goalkeeper Joe Keane.

The sides were level six times during a good contest, with the bulk of the scores coming from placed balls as both sides struggled to master the strong cross-field wind.

Galway senior Ger Mahon was the dominant figure in the second half but both sides should advance to the quarter-finals, unless UUJ score a massive victory over GMIT next week, which would knock St Pat's out.

SCORERS -- GMIT: J Liddy 2-0, K Feeney 0-4 (4f), T Flannery 0-2 (1f, 1 '65'), D Loughnane, C Egan 0-1 each. St Pat's/Mater Dei: P Kehoe 0-6 (5f, 1 '65'), JJ Farrell 1-0, A Dermody 0-2; N Breen 0-1.

GMIT -- J Keane; T Martin, C Flannery, G O'Halloran; D Maher, G Mahon, S Hynes; K Waters, W McNamara; D Loughnane, C Egan, A Lynch; K Feeney, R Badger, J Liddy. Sub: T Flannery for Feeney (34).

St Pat's/Mater Dei -- E Reilly; D Wafer, A Murphy, N Ring; I Duggan, M Quilty, C Whelan; L Ryan, B Travers; C Maher, JJ Farrell, A Dermody; G Spollen, P Kehoe, N Breen. Subs: W O'Shaughnessy for Travers (38), B Timmons for Spollen (51).

Ref -- J O'Mahoney (Limerick).

Irish Independent