Sport Hurling

Friday 23 February 2018

Late Dunne intervention leaves Cats shell-shocked

Laois 1-17
Kilkenny 1-16
Walsh Shield semi-finals
Carlow 2-14
Antrim 1-15

One of their own sank Kilkenny when Laois pulled off a late, late victory in this keenly-fought contest at Castlecomer on Saturday.

With the game drifting to a finish it looked like a brace of points from John Mulhall would get the home team through to the final.

However, Jimmy Dunne from Galmoy came off the bench for Laois and he shot the deciding goal through a crowded goal-mouth to pull the carpet from under the feet of the All-Ireland champions.

With Willie Hyland scoring well, Laois weathered an early storm before taking a 0-11 to 0-10 lead at the break.

Hyland and Dayne Peacock drove things on, and Laois maintained the upper hand after the break. However, they were dragged back when a long-range shot from Mulhall dropped under Eoin Reilly's crossbar and into the Laois net.

That 46th-minute goal lifted Kilkenny. A brace of points from Mulhall pushed them within touching distance of victory, but they were ultimately undone by the effort of Dunne.

Scorers -- Laois: W Hyland 0-8 (6f), B Campion 0-3 (2f), J Dunne 1-0, D Peacock 0-2, E Jackman, B Dunne, E Costelloe, J Purcell 0-1 each. Kilkenny: M Bergin 0-7 (6f), J Mulhall 1-3, E McGrath, M Ruth 0-2 each, P Hogan, M Grace 0-1 each.

Laois -- P Carroll; J Delaney, D Maher, C Dunne; M Whelan, B Campion, M McEvoy; E Jackman, B Dunne; J Brophy, JJ McHugh, W Hyland; E Costelloe, J Rowney, J Purcell Subs: D Peacock for Costelloe (30), E Reilly for Carroll (36), J Dunne for Purcell (49), N Foyle for Peacock (63).

Kilkenny -- D Herity; K Joyce, S Prendergast, D Prendergast; M Walsh, P Hogan, C Fogarty; P Murphy, L Ryan; N Walsh, J Mulhall, M Grace; E McGrath, M Ruth, M Bergin.

Ref -- D Murphy (Wexford).

CARLOW hurlers recovered from a dreadful start to overcome Antrim in this exciting tie at Dr Cullen Park, Carlow yesterday and set up a home final meeting with neighbours Laois.

The Saffrons raced into a 1-3 to no score lead after seven minutes, right half-forward Eddie McCloskey opening the scoring with a goal on three minutes.

Carlow slowly gained a foothold and in the 10th minute were boosted by a fine individual goal from centre-forward Eddie Byrne.

Carlow went 2-11 to 1-11 in front on 46 minutes and still held a three-point advantage when the Saffrons were awarded a 35-metre free in the dying stages. Liam Watson's effort rose over the bar and Carlow were through to the final.

These sides meet again in the opening round of the NHL on Sunday next when Antrim have home ground advantage.

Scorers -- Carlow: E Byrne 1-3, R Dunbar 1-1, C Hughes 0-3 (1f), A Gaule, R Coady (1f, 1 '65) 0-2 each, C Doyle, B Lawler and P Kehoe 0-1 each. Antrim: L Watson 0-7 (0-5f), S McCrory 0-4, E McCloskey 1-0, A Smiley 0-2, K McKeegan (1f), M Scullion 0-1 each.

Carlow -- K Kehoe; A Corcoran, J Rogers, D Shaw; J O'Hara, R Coady, P Doyle; D Roberts, J Hickey; R Dunbar, E Byrne, C Hughes; A Gaule, E Minchin, C Doyle. Subs: P Kehoe for Hickey (24), B Lawler for Minchin (h-t), E Nolan for P Doyle (h-t), E Kane for O'Hara (53), D Miley for K Kehoe (62), D Byrne for Rogers (65).

Antrim -- C O'Connell; S Shannon, N McGarry, R McDonnell; N McAuley, K McKeegan, C Herron; P McGill, M Scullion; E McCloskey, C McBride, A Smiley; S McCrory, L Watson, T McCann. Subs: A Graffin for McDonnell (46), C McFall for McCloskey (51), N McManus for McBride (68).

Ref -- J Kelly (Wexford).

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport