Sport Hurling

Wednesday 21 February 2018

Kilkenny v Waterford - Game at a glance


Colm Keys

Colm Keys

Richie Hogan (Kilkenny)

A multitude of contenders, from Kevin Moran to Jackie Tyrrell, but Hogan cornered much of the market for leadership in extra-time for Kilkenny, whipping over four of his five points at crucial times and earning a free for another.


Kilkenny on the brink; a wonder save from Stephen O'Keeffe; Moran's tour de force; the iron will of the Kilkenny full-back line; Henry Shefflin on and off again; two controversial refereeing decisions; Tony Browne hurling in a championship match at 40; and Kilkenny the indefatigable. Phew!


It had more twists than an Alpine climb so it's hard to conclude that anyone turned this epic match in a particular direction. Ultimately momentum slipped from Waterford when the final delivery failed to find Seamus Prendergast at the end of normal time after Moran's third and levelling point.


James Owens was a key player on the night. He got the right call when a Richie Power penalty struck a stanchion and was allowed after some consultation with his umpires. His decision to blow full-time just as Matthew Ruth steadied to shoot what would have been a winning point was highly contentious, and Jake Dillon had his feet planted in the square when the ball was played to him for his goal.


Stephen O'Keeffe produced the most spellbinding save from Ruth at the end of extra-time. Watching the slow motion reaction of Brian Cody to it on the TV screen perhaps offers the best illustration as to how good it was.


Brian Cody (Kilkenny manager):

"There were huge questions asked there. If our spirit was diluted, or if our attitude or determination was in any way sort of below par we would have been blown away. That was the standard they were playing at and it's great credit due to them because everybody talks about the great Waterford players no longer playing with them."

Michael Ryan (Waterford manager):

"There was no point hawking high ball down on top of Kilkenny. We used the ball well, at times very well. Maybe the deciding factor was the early minutes of extra-time when they had a little bit of composure."



Kilkenny 13 (9 first half)

Waterford 10 (5).


Kilkenny 3 (2),

Waterford 5 (3).


Kilkenny 10 (5),

Waterford 8 (2).


Kilkenny 2 (1),

Waterford 7 (2).

Yellow Cards:

Kilkenny 2 (M Ruth 12, R Power 31)

Waterford 5 (R Foley 24, D Fives 28, S Prendergast 31, N Connor 36, R Barry 54)

Red Cards:

Kilkenny 0

Waterford 0


Kilkenny meet Cork in a quarter-final on July 28. Waterford must look forward to 2014 with renewed vigour after this performance.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport