Friday 20 April 2018

Gorman lands killer blow for ruthless Kilcormac

Kilcormac-Killoughey 1-18 Camross 1-10


Kilcormac-Killoughey got the defence of their title off to an impressive start with an eight-point triumph over Camross.

They had to overcome a shaky start, as they fell three points behind after 15 minutes, but they recovered well and produced a ruthless second-half display to ease home.

Camross were competing in Leinster for the first time since 2007, and that lack of experience showed.

They had started brightly, however, with Zane Keenan firing over a superb point on the run with three defenders trailing in his wake. Ciaran Slevin replied for the Offaly champions two minutes later, and that lit the touch paper for an exciting first half.

Ciaran Collier and Aaron Moore pointed to put the home side 0-3 to 0-1 up after just six minutes, as Kilcormac struggled to cope against Camross' high-tempo game.

Brothers Peter and Thomas Geraghty pointed for Kilcormac-Killoughey either side of a Matthew Collier point to leave just one point in it. But two Keenan frees helped Camross lead 0-6 to 0-3 after 15 minutes.

Kilcormac-Killoughey finally hit something approaching their best form after that, and a James Gorman goal effort which cannoned over off the crossbar got them going.

Slevin pointed two frees and Peter Geraghty got another to level the game, and the Offaly men added two more to take the lead.

Dean Delaney responded for Camross, but Kilcormac were hitting their stride now and they finished the half strongly to lead 0-10 to 0-8 at the interval.

The start of the second was all about putting distance between themselves and Camross for Kilcormac. They got the opening score from Damien Kilmartin, and Killian Leonard and Slevin added further points within a minute to stretch the lead to five.

Camross were stunned and didn't have the experience to weather the storm and strike back. Kilcormac-Killoughey were dominating midfield, and that allowed them to push forward at every opportunity. Gorman and Slevin pointed once again to stretch the lead out to seven and, with Camross on the ropes, the Offaly men landed a knock-out blow.

Gorman got a flick to a long ball into the Camross penalty area, and it trickled over the line for the opening goal. Camross were dejected.

Kilcormac were awarded a second goal moments later, although it was subsequently, and correctly, disallowed as the ball had gone through the side-netting. Camross managed a late goal from Tomas Burke, but it made little difference in the end as Kilcormac-Killoughey ran out deserving winners.

SCORERS - Kilcormac-Killoughey: Ciaran Slevin 0-7 (5fs), J Gorman 1-1, P Geraghty 0-3, D Kilmartin, K Leonard 0-2 each, C Mahon, D Currams, T Geraghty 0-1 each. Camross: Z Keenan 0-5 (3fs), T Burke 1-0, D Keenan, M Collier, C Collier, D Delaney, A Moore 0-1 each.

KILCORMAC-KILLOUGHEY – C Slevin; C Guinan, G Healion, C Mahon; K Grogan, P Healion, B Leonard; D Kilmartin, K Leonard; Ciaran Slevin, C Mahon, P Geraghty; J Gorman, D Currams, T Geraghty. Subs: T Fletcher for K Leonard (52), J Geraghty for Kilmartin (54), C Kiely for P Geraghty (54), A McConville for K Grogan (57), E Grogan for B Leonard (59)

CAMROSS – T Doran; M Phelan, M Moloney, P Guilfoyle; M Burke, G Burke, D Keenan; Z Keenan, M Collier; C Collier, T Burke, A Collier; A Moore, D Palmer, D Delaney. Subs: O Dowling for M Collier (38), T Brickley for A Collier (45), L Burke for C Collier (52), J Palmer for D Palmer (52), M Delaney for T Burke (60)

REF – S Cleere (KIlkenny)

Irish Independent

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport