Monday 20 November 2017

Carter won't forgive, Cody won't comment

Brian Cody: 'I explained the situation at the time and I have nothing to add or subtract.'
Brian Cody: 'I explained the situation at the time and I have nothing to add or subtract.'

BY MARTIN BREHENY BRIAN CODY has declined to comment on claims by Charlie Carter that he was treated shabbily by the Kilkenny manager prior to controversially quitting the panel in June 2003.

Carter has vowed to never forgive Cody for what he alleges was a systematic undermining process over an extended period.

"At every opportunity, Cody had stuck the dagger in me. Every time I seemed to be coming right, he took me down another peg. There was never a pat on the back, never a quiet 'well done'. I had become deflated. He had kept pushing until I cracked," writes Carter in his book, Triumph and Troubles, which will be launched on Thursday.

Carter also claims there were days when Cody couldn't wait to take him off and that he didn't want him as captain in 2003.

Carter eventually quit the panel after being left on the bench for the full 70 minutes when Kilkenny hammered Dublin in a Leinster championship clash in June 2003.

"There's only so much a man can take. I had taken as much as I could. I wasn't going to take anymore. Sure, I had regrets. I was sorry it had come to this. I was sorry I felt I had to walk but I wasn't sorry I did walk. Yet, I couldn't have stayed going the way I was.

"I would have wound up in St Canice's (the psychiatric hospital in Kilkenny) if I tried. My biggest disappointment was that after years of service to the county, I was treated shabbily. It's something I will never forgive Brian Cody for."

Cody said yesterday that he would be making no comment on Carter's statements. "I explained the situation at the time and I have nothing to add or subtract," he said.

Cody's explanation in 2003 was that while Carter was a valuable member of the panel no player was guaranteed his place in what was a very competitive squad.

He wanted Carter to remain on the panel but two days after Kilkenny's win over Dublin, the Young Irelands man notified county board secretary Pat Dunphy that he was quitting.

Carter alleges that the problems started a year earlier when Cody told him after the Leinster semi-final that he wasn't fit enough. He started in the final against Wexford but was replaced just after half-time and unleashed some choice words in Cody's direction as he left the pitch.

Carter's club Young Irelands nominated him as captain for 2003 after winning the previous year's county title but it became awkward as he wasn't always on the starting 15. On the day of the 2003 league final, Carter didn't start but was introduced as a second-half sub and made a big impact in Kilkenny's one-point win.

He describes receiving the league trophy as "one of the proudest moments of my life" but, less than a month later, he quit the panel after Cody opted not to even use him as a sub against Dublin.

"Brian Cody was free to make as many substitutions as he liked in the closing stages. He could have made five but he only made two. That was it," writes Carter.

"No olive branch for me. Not even a glance. It hurt. It hurt a lot."

Kilkenny supporters would like Cody to respond in detail to Carter's comments but the manager will be staying silent - for now at least.

Promoted Links

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport