Thursday 22 March 2018

Camogie: Flanagan hits late double to edge Premier past Kilkenny

Daragh O Conchuir

Two goals in the dying embers of the game from supersub Noreen Flanagan snatched a memorable victory for Tipperary from the grasp of old rivals Kilkenny in Round 3 of the All-Ireland senior championship at Nowlan Park.

The winners led at half-time by 0-10 to 0-7 but despite Nicole Walsh, Alice Fogarty and Jill Horan racking up some good scores, they wouldn't have been happy, having squandered numerous opportunities with a stiff wind in their favour.

Kilkenny struck early and hard at the start of the second half, when Katie Power set up Michelle Quilty, who handpassed a goal after just 12 seconds. From there until the 54th minute, the hosts maintained the upper hand, with Aoife Neary and Power keeping the scoreboard ticking over. Seventeen-year-old Miriam Walsh had also registered two points before being forced to leave the fray with an injury.

Tipp introduced three subs in the 48th minute to telling effect. Youngsters Michaela Graham and Sarah Fryday provided much more energy but it was Flanagan who changed the course of the game. Kilkenny still led by five points with six minutes remaining but Flanagan pounced for those two decisive goals.


Cork got back to winning ways by making light work of an Offaly team that was coming off a good win the previous week. The Faithful girls were unlucky to run into a side smarting from a defeat to Wexford and had no answer to the intensity of the league champions, who prevailed 4-20 to 1-5. Claire Shine, Katrina Mackey, Katie Buckley and Linda Dorgan got Cork's goals.

Galway maintained their 100pc record with a hard-fought 1-13 to 0-12 win over Clare. The Banner women underperformed badly last week but were back on form at Cusack Park, as Fiona Lafferty and Claire McMahon edged them into a two-point lead after 24 minutes. Niamh McGrath slotted three points, though, and Galway led at half-time, 0-8 to 0-6.

That lead stretched to three but Clare clawed themselves back to parity thanks to two McMahon scores and an excellent Katie Cahill point. Some bad wides hurt them, however, while a Sarah Dervan intervention prevented them goaling in the 45th minute.

Four minutes later, Galway were raising the green flag and securing the honours. It came as Brenda Hanney gathered possession from an Aislinn Connolly delivery and off-loaded to Niamh Kilkenny, who gave Denise Lynch no chance.

Champions Wexford set up a mouthwatering clash with the westerners next week when demolishing Dublin 2-20 to 1-4. Injuries to Mary Leacy (ankle), Una Leacy (hamstring) and Lisa Bolger (hand) will occupy their thoughts ahead of that tie, however.

Irish Independent

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport