Friday 20 April 2018

Boyle's heroics drive Lakemen extra mile to glory in thriller

(after extra-time) Leinster U-21 HC 'A' Final

IT took extra-time to separate the sides but it was Westmeath who eventually prevailed in a cracking final at Trim yesterday.

Holders Meath led by four points in the final period of extra-time but the midlanders finished with a flourish, scoring 1-3 without reply in the last eight minutes.

The crucial goal in that period came from Cormac Boyle and the same player then added an insurance point.

It was the midlanders' opening game, as they had received a walkover from Wicklow, but they wasted no time in settling down and led for most of the first half.

They had an early goal from Barry O'Meara before Meath fought back to be level at half-time 1-6 to 0-9.

Meath's top scorer Keith Keoghan converted a free in second-half added-time to leave it 1-13 to 0-16 and send the game to an extra 20 minutes.

A goal from full-forward Anthony Healy put Meath ahead for for the first time close to the end of the first additional period, but they were unable to hold on.

SCORERS -- Westmeath: B O'Meara 1-6 (0-6f), C Boyle 1-4, A Clarke 0-5 (2f, 1 '65'), C Murphy, S Boylan 0-1 each. Meath: K Keoghan 0-8f, A Healy 1-3, D Doran 0-4, E Marsh, C Fitzsimons, A Gannon 0-1 each.

WESTMEATH -- S McGovern; P Laide, A McGrath, C Scally; S Fagan, J Gilligan, A Fitzsimons; J Clarke, A Clarke; M Heffernan, C Boyle, N Dowdall; C Murphy, S Boylan, B O'Meara. Subs: C Murtagh for J Clarke (46), K Martin for A Clarke (e-t).

MEATH -- S McGann; G Murphy, E Lynch, R Hatton; S Brennan, W Mahedy, C O'Shea; F Doran, E Marsh; C Fitzsimons, G Kelly, K Keoghan; D Doran, A Healy, D Maguire. Subs: T Raleigh for F Doran (35), M Doyle for Fitzsimons (37).

REF -- G McGraith (Dublin).

Antrim rally late to seal three-in-a-row

Antrim 0-15

Armagh 2-7

It took two late points to seal a third Ulster title in-a-row for Antrim at Casement Park against an Armagh side who forced the pace for long periods of last night's decider.

The sides were level three times in the second half with Armagh, who led 1-5 to 0-5 at the break, edging closer to a first ever provincial title at the grade when Tony Duffy tapped home their second goal after 52 minutes.

Antrim eventually went ahead through James Black and Ciaran Johnston before Conor Corvan tied matters with a minute left.

But Antrim dug deep to produce two injury-time scores to seal a two-point win.

SCORERS -- Antrim: C McCann 0-6 (4f), T McCloskey 0-2, D McLean, K McKiernan (1f), S Smyth, N Elliott, C Johnston, J Black, N Cunningham 0-1 each. Armagh: C Corvan 1-4 (0-4f), T Duffy 1-0, M Maguire, D Nugent, C McKee 0-1 each.

Antrim -- E Gillan; T McAllister, A Downey, J McCouaig; N McAlea, M Donnelly, K McKiernan; C Laverty, S Smyth; J Black, M Devlin, D McLean; N Elliott, C McCann, T McCloskey. Subs: C Johnston for M Devlin, C Loughran for A Downey.

Armagh -- S Doherty; M Garvey, F Corvan, N Duffy; T Marley, P Heaney, JJ Hughes; K McKiernan, M Lenon; M Maguire, J King, C McKee; A Mackle, C Corvan, D Nugent. Subs: E Carville for A Mackle, R Lewis for N Duffy, L Woods for T Markey, T Duffy for R Lewis.

Ref -- E Hassan (Derry).

Irish Independent

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport