Owner fined and banned over attack on Fallon
DAVID REYNOLDS, the racehorse owner who was escorted out of Lingfield on March 20 by security guards after he punched Kieren Fallon and owner Peter Crate in a post-race fracas, was fined £10,000 and banned for three months yesterday.
Reynolds -- part-owner of the beaten favourite The Scorching Wind in the Sportingbet Supports Heros Handicap -- saw red after an incident two furlongs into the seven-furlong race.
Fallon's mount, Elna Bright, was tightened up and struck into by The Scorching Wind on his inside. Having been hampered, the 3/1 shot could never get back into the race while Elna Bright was pulled up lame by Fallon.
Afterwards Reynolds apologised to the owner and trainer of Elna Bright, but specifically not to Fallon.
The jockey, who resisted the temptation to retaliate, said he was unharmed, adding that Reynolds "hits like a girl". However, having seen videos the following day, Reynolds realised his mistake, and that Fallon was not to blame, and sent a letter of apology to the jockey.
Yesterday, at a hearing of the BHA disciplinary panel in London, Reynolds admitted violent conduct and acting in a manner "prejudicial to the integrity, proper conduct and good reputation of horseracing".
Although the panel reckoned his contrition was genuine, they fined him well above the entry point of £5,000.
Chief executive of the Professional Jockeys Association, Kevin Darley, said: "We are pleased the BHA have dealt with the matter swiftly and that it has been made clear such behaviour is unacceptable. One of our sport's most attractive aspects is that the spectators can get close to the participants."
Elna Bright's trainer Brett Johnson said: "Forget the money, I'd like to have seen him banned for at least a year."
He added that the horse was now sound and had been turned out for a two-month holiday. "It was just one of those racing things. The stewards held an inquiry and said it was no one's fault so I don't know what the guy saw to get him so upset."
Fallon showed no ill-affects from the controversy yesterday as he opened his account for the season with an 11/1 double at Wolverhampton as he strives to regain the jockey's title. (© Daily Telegraph, London)