Rory McIlroy overtakes Padraig Harrington as Ireland's richest sportsperson
The Sunday Times richlist has revealed that Rory McIlroy has overhauled Padraig Harrington to become the richest sportsperson on the island.
His Open Championship win at Hoylake and US PGA triumph at Valhalla have catapulted the Co Down golfer above three-time major winner Padraig Harrington on Ireland's sporting richlist.
According to the figures in the Sunday Times, the world number one has amassed a fortune of €52m, just €1m ahead of the Dubliner.
Bolstered by good sales of his second autobiography, Roy Keane comes third on the list at €40m.
Ian Coxon, who compiled the list, said lucrative sponsorship deals have brought Rory McIlroy to the top.
"[He has] a 1-year contract with Nike worth over €200m, which he doesn't earn all at once, but is certainly going to mean he's got plenty of money in his pocket - even if he doesn’t win another major," he said.
THE RICHEST SPORTSMEN IN IRELAND
• 1 Rory McIloy, Golf, €52m
• 2 Padraig Harrington, Golf, €51m
• 3 Roy Keane Football, €40m
• 4 Graeme McDowell, Golf, €34m
• 5 Robbie Keane, Football, €27m
• 6 Damien Duff, Football, €26m
• 7 Darren Clarke, Golf, €25m
• 8 AP McCoy, Horse racing, €18m
• 9 Martin O'Neill, Football, €18m
• 10 John O'Shea, Football, €16m