Tuesday 20 March 2018

Galway swoop late to deny brave Laois a famous win

Willie Hyland, Laois, in action against David Collins
Willie Hyland, Laois, in action against David Collins

For the second year running Galway survived a huge scare to beat a gallant Laois side by 1-22 to 0-23 in Portlaoise.

Ana amazing period in the first half which saw Laois score 12 out of 14 points helped them to a five-point half-time lead.

Galway to their credit managed to haul themselves back into the game but had to survive a nervy finish as they stopped a goalbound free from Eoghan Reilly to cling on for victory.

It's a doubly difficult result for Laois to take after they had led Galway in a similar situation 12 months ago.

Anthony Cunningham would have been delighted with the start as Jonathan Glynn found the net for the opening score of the game and three points followed quickly.

The Laois response was emphatic as they hit six consecutive points and 12 of the next 14,  with Tom Delaney and Tommy Fitzgerald among the scorers.

Laois continued to fire over points from distance and led by 0-12 to 1-5 after 25 minutes.

Seamus Plunkett's men had 10 different scorers in the opening half and they led by 0-16 to 1-7 at the break.

Galway were struggling to make inroads into Laois' advantage in the early stages of the second half with Conor Cooney contributing scores for the Tribesmen.

Galway hit six points without reply to level the game with 10 minutes remaining as the Connacht side finally clicked into gear, Niall Burke hitting the equalising point to make it 0-21 to 1-18.

Galway got their noses in front with time running out and Jason Flynn's gave them a two-point lead deep in injury time.

There was a late chance for Laois as they were awarded a late 20-metre free and they brought forward keeper Eoghan Reilly  to take it but Galway kept it out and Tribesmen survived a massive scare.

Online Editors

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport