Friday 15 November 2019

Tinnelly's late intervention sends Cavan into Cup final

Cavan 1-8 Fermanagh 1-7 (Dr McKenna Cup SF Semi-Final)

Ryan Jones, Fermanagh, with support from team-mate Marty O'Brien, in action against Jack Brady, Cavan
Ryan Jones, Fermanagh, with support from team-mate Marty O'Brien, in action against Jack Brady, Cavan
Marty O'Brien, Fermanagh, gets past Conor Gilsenan, Cavan, which lead to the opening goal of the game
Niall McDermott, Cavan, in action against Niall Cassidy, Fermanagh

Two calamitous mistakes in the last five minutes at either end resulted in two goals as Cavan earned a place in this year's McKenna Cup final.

Fermanagh's Eoin Donnelly lost possession inside his own 14 after 'keeper Chris Snow had given him a short pass. With Snow out of position, Cavan worked the ball to substitute Philip Tinnelly who scored with his first touch. 

Just minutes earlier, Cavan goalkeeper Conor Gilsenan coughed up the ball on his own 14-yard line with Martin O'Brien only too happy to take advantage and slot home to the empty net. That score looked like giving Fermanagh the win but it was not to be and instead Cavan will go in search of their first McKenna Cup since 2000.

There was one last act of drama however with just a point between the teams as Sean Quigley saw his long-distance free hit the crossbar with just one minute left.

The second half saw Cavan get off to the brighter start with Niall McDermott registering a free to cut the deficit to a single score. Fermanagh had their chances but they were lazy in possession.


Instead it was Cavan who continued to tighten their grip on proceedings and they had two brilliant points from play from their half-backs Conor Moynagh and Marty Reilly to give them the lead for the first time. 

And things got even better for the home side when Michael Lyng slotted over. Sean Quigley stopped the rot and got Fermanagh back to within a point before they got their goal against the run of play. 

GAA Newsletter

Expert GAA analysis straight to your inbox.

Fermanagh were the better team in the first half and good value for their two-point lead. 

They moved the ball with more pace from their defence to attack and while neither team had much success with long ball into the full-forward line due to the packed defence the Erne men looked the side more capable of breaking down the opposition with runners off the shoulder. 

Quigley kicked two super points from play in that first half with Ryan Jones, Barry Mulrone and Declan McCusker also on target.   Cavan stayed in touch with Dara McVeety and Tom Hayes kicking scores from play and McDermott and Reilly on target from frees. 

SCORERS - Cavan: P Tinnelly 1-0, M Reilly 0-2 (1f), N McDermott 0-2 (2f), M Lyng, D McVeety, T Hayes, C Moynagh 0-1 each. Fermanagh: S Quigley 0-4 (2f), M O'Brien 1-0, B Mulrone, D McCusker, R Jones 0-1 each. CAVAN - C Gilsenan; K Brady, R Dunne, J McLoughlin; F Flanagan, C Moynagh, M Reilly; D O'Reilly, K Clarke; D McVeety, C Conroy, M McKeever; N McDermott, T Hayes, J Brady. Subs: M Lyng for McVeety (24), E Hessin for Conroy (37), J Hayes for Brady (55), M Dunne for Hayes (59), P Tinnelly  for Moynagh (70). FERMANAGH - C Snow; M Jones, J Allen, N Cassidy; D McCusker, R McCluskey, M O'Brien; E Donnelly, R O'Callaghan; B Mulrone, R Jones, P McCusker; R Corrigan, S Quigley, E McManus. Subs: D Kelly for O'Callaghan (31), T Corrigan for P McCusker (51), J McMahon for McManus (55), C Flaherty for R Corrigan (68). REF - M McNally (Monaghan)

Irish Independent

The Throw-In: 'Jim Gavin has achieved what Mick O'Dwyer and Brian Cody couldn't do'

In association with Bord Gáis Energy

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport