Saturday 17 March 2018

UCC bow out after Fitzgibbon Cup draw with UL

UCC 1-14 UL 1-14

UCC's Shane O'Donnell in action against inter-county team-mate David McInerney of UL in the Fitzgibbon Cup
UCC's Shane O'Donnell in action against inter-county team-mate David McInerney of UL in the Fitzgibbon Cup

Denis Hurley

Record winners UCC were eliminated from the Fitzgibbon Cup at the Mardyke today as Jason Forde’s injury-time free secured a draw for UL in their final group game.

Going in, UCC knew that nothing less than a win would suffice. At half-time they trailed by five points but when Cormac Murphy nailed a long-range effort to put them 1-14 to 1-13 ahead it looked as if they had survived.

Ultimately, though, Forde had the final say for the visitors, for whom Tony Kelly had excelled, scoring five points. A goal from Conor Martin, who finished with 1-3, put UL 1-2 to no score ahead after eight minutes and that was the difference between the sides for the remainder of the half.

UCC’s shooting was off in the opening period but changes to their team at half-time brought about the desired effect. Sub Barry Lawton had a blistering goal within two minutes of coming on and points from Conor Lehane, Lawton (a free), Alan Cadogan and Anthony Spillane had them 1-10 to 1-8 ahead by the three-quarter mark.

UL levelled against as Kelly and Martin pointed and from there to the end it was nip and tuck. Kelly put UL 1-13 to 1-12 ahead only for Lawton to level again and then Murphy gave Ger Cunningham’s side hope but it was not to be.

Scorers – UCC: B Lawton 1-3 (0-2f), A Cadogan 0-4, C Lehane 0-2, C Murphy, A Spillane, P Prendergast, S O’Keeffe, J Power 0-1 each.

UL: C Martin 1-3 (0-3f), T Kelly 0-5, B Stapleton, J Forde (0-1f), J McGrath, T Heffernan, K O’Brien, PJ Scully 0-1 each.

UCC: D O’Gorman (Cork); K Burke (Cork), D Glynn (Kilkenny), M Breen (Tipperary); P Prendergast (Waterford), T Bourke (Waterford), C Murphy (Cork); R O’Shea (Cork), T Devine (Waterford); S O’Keeffe (Cork), J Barron (Waterford), C Lehane (Cork); J Power (Kilkenny), A Cadogan (Cork), S O’Donnell (Clare).

Subs: B Lawton (Cork) for O’Shea, A Spillane (Cork) for O’Keeffe (half-time), B Hartnett for Spillane (57).

UL: P Maher (Tipperary); D McInerney (Clare), J Brown (Clare), E Moriarty (Kilkenny); D Quinn (Tipperary), J Forde (Tipperary), B Stapleton (Tipperary); T Kelly (Clare), B Maher (Tipperary); M Carmody (Limerick), C Martin (Kilkenny), J McGrath (Tipperary); K O’Brien (Limerick), PJ Scully (Tipperary), T Heffernan (Tipperary).

Subs: P Sheehan (Clare) for Carmody, D Morrissey (Limerick) for Moriarty (both half-time), A McGuane (Clare) for Maher (42), T Cleary for O’Brien (58).

Referee: F Horgan (Tipperary).

Online Editors

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport