| 17.8°C Dublin

Treacy finds range as clinical Cuala cruise past 14-man Coolderry


Cuala’s Darragh O’Connell

Cuala’s Darragh O’Connell

Coolderry's Brian Carroll is tackled by Shane Stapleton

Coolderry's Brian Carroll is tackled by Shane Stapleton


Cuala’s Darragh O’Connell

David Treacy led the Cuala show in Tullamore yesterday as they safely booked their Leinster club semi-final berth after a comprehensive 14-point defeat of 2011 champions Coolderry.

Treacy finished the game with 12 points to his name with a 100pc record from placed balls as Cuala progressed from being level after 11 minutes, to pushing on with vigour and intent to blow Coolderry away.

Coolderry lost captain Brian Carroll to a straight red card on 44 minutes as the Offaly veteran and Cuala wing-back Shane Stapleton clashed off the ball. Referee David Hughes acted on the advice of his umpires as an irate Carroll left the field of play fuming at the decision.

The game was well and truly wrapped up by the time Mark Schutte found the net in the 58th minute to put Cuala 1-21 to 0-12 ahead as the sharper and more fluent Dublin champions breezed through to face Kilkenny champions Clara.

Underfoot conditions deteriorated as the game wore on but Cuala adapted excellently. "In fairness to Cuala, in every championship game this year in Dublin the lads have battled very hard. It's a 20-man game for us. The guys go out, they work hard, they try and compete for every ball then we freshen it up for the last 20 minutes. That's been our template all year," said manager Mattie Kenny.

Coolderry started the scoreboard off in the second minute when Eoin Ryan pointed but as the opening half wore on Cuala steadily increased their stranglehold. Coolderry held their own as the sides were deadlocked at three points each after 11 minutes but with David Treacy punishing Coolderry's frequent fouling, the newly-crowned Dublin champions began to steal a march.

Treacy hit his fifth and sixth free of the game while Darragh O'Connell struck over a superb solo effort on the run as they led 0-10 to 0-5 with nine minutes left to the break but it should have been more as Colm Cronin's goalbound effort fizzed wide.

Coolderry were struggling to cope with the direct running of their opponents as Treacy (free) and Sean Moran added further points to extend their lead. David King got the final score of the half for Coolderry but it was Cuala who led by 0-12 to 0-6 at the break.

Cuala continued to use their pace to great effect in the second half with Treacy and O'Connell ruling the roost in the middle of the field. Treacy and Coolderry's Damien Murray traded frees throughout the half as Cuala led 0-16 to 0-8 before the dismissal of Carroll.

Coolderry got it back to a six-point game with 10 minutes to go but Cuala continued to find their range in the final 10 minutes with Schutte finding the net before subs Niall Carty and Nicky Kenny finished off the scoring.

GAA Newsletter

Exclusives from under the skin of the GAA, from Ireland’s largest and best GAA team; Brolly, Mullane, Hogan and Ó Sé, to name but a few.

This field is required

Scorers - Cuala: D Treacy 0-12fs, M Schutte 1-2, D O' Connell 0-2, S Moran, J Malone, C Waldron, C Cronin, N Kenny, S Treacy and N Carty 0-1 each. Coolderry: D Murray 0-7 (6fs, 1 '65), D King 0-2, E Ryan, A Corcoran and K Connolly 0-1 each.

CUALA - S Brennan; R Tierney, C O'Callaghan, S Timlin; S Stapleton, O Gough, S Moran; J Malone, D O'Connell; C Sheanon, C Cronin, C Waldron; D Treacy, M Schutte, S Treacy. Subs: J Sheanon for S Stapleton (44), N Kenny for C Sheanon (56), B Fitzgerald for C Cronin (60), N Carty for S Treacy (60), E O'Naire for M Schutte (61).

COOLDERRY - S Corcoran; S Connolly, T Corcoran, S Burke; A Corcoran, J Brady, K Brady; C Molloy, D King; K Connolly, B Teehan, B Carroll; E Ryan, M Corcoran, D Murray. Subs: A Connolly for E Ryan (35), D Parlon for J Brady (47).

Ref - D Hughes (Carlow)

Most Watched