Friday 22 November 2019

Tipperary legend Reddin leaves lasting legacy

Tony Reddin, the legendary goalkeeper, died aged 95 on Sunday after a short illness
Tony Reddin, the legendary goalkeeper, died aged 95 on Sunday after a short illness
Colm Keys

Colm Keys

Tipperary GAA is mourning the death of one of its greatest hurling servants, Tony Reddin. The legendary goalkeeper, aged 95, died on Sunday after a short illness.

He was goalkeeper on the Premier County's three successive All-Ireland titles from 1949 to 1951.

Among his greatest performances was reputedly the 1950 Munster final replay against Christy Ring's Cork in Killarney. He was recognised on the GAA hurling Team of the Century and Team of the Millennium.

Born Martin Charles Reddington in Mullagh, Co Galway in November 1919, Tony won a Connacht junior hurling medal in 1940 and subsequently hurled for the Galway seniors and Connacht.

Employment took him to Lorrha across the Shannon in Tipperary where he played for the local club. Nicknamed 'Thaudy', he became known as Tony Reddin and the name stuck.

He joined the Tipperary panel in 1949 and, in addition to his three All-Ireland medals, he also won six league titles in 1949, 1950, 1952, 1954, 1955 and 1957 and five Railway Cup medals with Munster from 1950 to 1953 inclusive and '55.

Tony moved to nearby Banagher, Co Offaly in 1963 when he got a job with Bord na Móna and, after finishing with Lorrha, he turned his hand successfully to coaching. He became senior trainer with St Rynagh's hurling club in Banagher and helped them to 10 Offaly championships between 1965 and 1976.

Paying tribute, Tipperary chairman Michael Bourke said his achievements "list high among the greats not only of his own era, but also of those of modern times."

GAA Newsletter

Expert GAA analysis straight to your inbox.

Irish Independent

The Throw-In: 'Jim Gavin has achieved what Mick O'Dwyer and Brian Cody couldn't do'

In association with Bord Gáis Energy

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport