| 13.2°C Dublin

Tipp hurlers set to be met by HSE and restrict movements on return from warm-weather training camp in Spain

Close

Tipperary senior hurling squad

Tipperary senior hurling squad

SPORTSFILE

Tipperary senior hurling squad

MEMBERS of the Tipperary hurling squad and backroom team will abide by all HSE instructions following their return from a team training camp in Spain.

"Whatever the protocol, they'll follow it," Tipperary county board secretary Tim Floyd told Independent.ie.

The All-Ireland senior hurling champions are the most high-profile GAA group to find themselves embroiled in the ongoing coronavirus crisis after their, as it transpired, ill-timed Iberian adventure.

Most of the travelling party were due to touch down back in Ireland on Friday evening, whereupon they will be advised to avoid their places of work and restrict social activities for the next fortnight.

Minister for Health Simon Harris announced earlier on Friday that people returning from Spain and Italy must now restrict their movements for the following 14 days.

The Tipp party, approximately 45-strong and led by manager Liam Sheedy, jetted out from Shannon last Monday for a five-day training camp on the Costa Blanca.

The players had completed their Allianz League campaign with a defeat in Galway the previous day. They were staying in Campoamor, near Alicante in the south east of the country.

Floyd confirmed that not all of the group are returning together, with some of them having booked individual flights.

"The bulk of them are coming back this evening, but they are meeting the HSE on arrival," the Tipp secretary outlined, when contacted on Friday.

"Whatever they have to do, they will do. Liam will issue a statement after that."

It was Floyd's understanding that all of the group are in fine health.

"They were probably safer over there than they are here, because they were in camp and there was no one else there, no other teams - or there was no flow of people in and out of the camp. They were there for the five days and that was it," he explained.

"Our team doctor travelled with them as well. They followed all the protocols that they were expected to follow, and he had them well instructed."

As the Covid-19 pandemic tightens its global grip, Spain currently ranks as the second worst affected European country, after Italy, with a confirmed 4,334 positive cases.

The latest recommendation emanated from a meeting of the National Public Health Emergency Team on Thursday night.

"It is not quite self-isolate, but to restrict their movements," Minister Harris told RTÉ.

"Anyone returning from Italy and Spain will be met by environmental health workers on their return at the airport and told to restrict their movements."

The Tipperary county board has previously said it pressed ahead with the trip following "consideration of travel guidance".

Online Editors