Friday 15 November 2019

Supersub O'Brien punishes 14-man Kerry

Westmeath 3-18 Kerry0-12

O’Brien: Fine performance
O’Brien: Fine performance
The Oak Leafers have missed a succession of penalties over the past few seasons and Ruairi Convery saw his effort turned onto the post by Kevin Kehoe at a crucial stage of the second half.
Substitute Stephen Lambert netted with 15 minutes remaining with virtually his first touch to ensure victory for London. Newsdesk Newsdesk

Westmeath pulled away in the second half to put 14-man Kerry to the sword in Tralee.

Quickfire goals from Darragh Clinton and Alan Devine midway through the second half settled the issue.

The turning point in this lively contest came in the 26th minute when Keith Carmody - wearing No 15, but playing at wing-back - was red carded for a pull that made contact with an opponent's helmet.

Westmeath, were leading 0-6 to 0-4 at the time after a brace of points from Robbie Greville brace and one each from Eoin Price, Brendan Murtagh, Alan Devine and Darragh Clinton.

Kerry free taker Shane Nolan's radar was off, as he missed three scorable frees.

With substitute Niall O'Brien impressing, Westmeath utilised their extra man well, and a Murtagh goal, in the 31st minute, gave them a 1-7 to 0-6 half-time lead.

Early second-half scores from Podge Boyle, Colm Harty and impressive 18-year-old Michael O'Leary - who fired over three second points - reduced the gap to two.

However, Westmeath's two-goal salvo put daylight between the sides, and Kerry did not post a score during the last 17 minutes, while Westmeath added eight points.

GAA Newsletter

Expert GAA analysis straight to your inbox.

Kerry will be hoping to be stronger for the Championship.

Man of the Match: N O'Brien (Westmeath)

Scorers - Westmeath: N O'Brien 0-6 ( 4fs), B Murtagh (0-2 fs), A Devine, D Clinton 1-2 each, R Greville 0-3, E Price 0-2, K Murphy 0-1. Kerry: M O'Leary, P Boyle (1f, 1 '65'), S Nolan (3fs) 0-3 each, M Boyle, K Carmody, C Harty 0-1 each.

Westmeath - P Collins 7; S Power 7, A Craig 4, A Price 6; G Greville 7, T Doyle 7, L Varley 6; E Price 8, J Clarke 6; A Clarke 6, B Murtagh 7, R Greville 9; A Devine 8, D McNicholas 6, D Clinton 7. Subs: N O'Brien 8 for Craig (18), A Price 7 for McNicholas (46), K Murphy 6 for Clarke (62), J Boyle 6 for Devine 66, A McGrath 6 for Varley (68).

Kerry - J Logue 7; T Casey 6, P Kelly 7, B Murphy 6; G O'Grady 5, D Shanahan 7, K Carmody 5; D Collins 5, P Lucid 5; S Nolan 5, S Weir 5, P Boyle 7; M Boyle 7, M O'Leary 8, A Royle 5 . Subs: C Harty 6 for Lucid (25), D Dineen 6 for Weir (44), J Flaherty 6 for Nolan (45), J Egan 6 for Royle (52), D Fitzell 6 for O'Grady (58).

Ref - J O'Brien (Tipperary)

Murphy key as Carlow push on

Carlow 1-15 Derry 1-13

Carlow took a step towards the league final as Derry's penalty misery went on.

The Oak Leafers have missed a succession of penalties over the past few seasons and Ruairi Convery saw his effort turned onto the post by Kevin Kehoe at a crucial stage of the second half.

The key score was Seamus Murphy's goal right on the stroke of half-time. He fired home from close range to reduce Derry's lead to one at the break.

The hosts had started brightly and a debut goal from Brendan Douban opened a lead, but, wind-assisted, they failed to strengthen the advantage sufficiently.

Convery finished up with nine points to his name, but was off target with a few first-half efforts. Tom McLean's side did lead by 1-7 to 1-6 and scores from Convery and Douban on the restart boosted their hopes of a third straight win, but Carlow were stronger and bossed the second period.

Craig Doyle was lucky to escape a red card for a pull on Conor McSorley, but Carlow got across the line.

Man of the Match: Martin Kavanagh (Carlow)

scorers - Derry: R Convery 0-9 (7f), B Douban 1-2, A Grant 0-1, S McGuigan 0-1. Carlow: M Kavanagh 0-7 (4f), S Murphy 1-1, JM Nolan 0-2, C Doyle 0-2, E Byrne, D Byrne, D English 0-1 each.

Derry - D McDermott 6; S McCullagh 6, C Quinn 7, E McGuckin 6; C McSorley 6, P Kelly 6, K Hinphey 6; N Ferris 5, R Leonard 5; R Convery 6, L Hinphey 5, P McCloskey 5; A Grant 7, M Conway 5, B Douban 7. Subs: S McGuigan 6 for L Hinphey (HT), P Cleary 6 for Leonard (HT), T McCloskey 5 for Conway (HT), D Flanagan 5 for P McCloskey (62), A Kelly 5 for Ferris (62).

Carlow - K Kehoe 7; R Coady 6, J Kinsella 7, A Corcoran 6; D English 7, J Rogers 6, G Coady 6; JM Nolan 8, D Byrne 6; J Kavanagh 6, E Byrne 6, C Wall 5; M Kavanagh 9, S Murphy 8, C Doyle 7. Subs: E Coady 6 for Wall (HT), E Doyle 5 for C Doyle (63), S Kavanagh 5 for Kinsella (66), A Gaule 5 for G Coady (70).

Ref - O Elliott (Antrim).

Lambert strike helps Exiles over line

London 3-12 Wicklow 2-12

London held off a spirited Wicklow side at Aughrim yesterday, with Mark O'Dwyer's first-half goal setting the visitors on the road to victory.

London led by 1-8 to 1-3 at the break, with Wicklow's goal coming courtesy of Gavin Weir. However, the home side couldn't get their noses in front despite several rallies.

Three second-half points had them back within striking distance, but Phillip Murphy stole in for London's second goal.

Wicklow again hit back through Eamonn Kearns and Jonathan O'Neill, but substitute Stephen Lambert netted with 15 minutes remaining with virtually his first touch to ensure victory.

Andy O'Brien struck the crossbar and Christy Moorhouse and Stephen Kelly pointed in the dying minutes, but it was too little too late for the home side.

Mikie Lee's late goal for Wicklow proved little more than a consolation.

Man of the match: Stephen Kelly (Wicklow)

Scorers - London: A Gaffney 0-5, P Murphy, M O'Dwyer 1-1 each, S Lambert 1-0, M Duggan 0-2, K Killilea, L Hands, M Ivors 0-1 each. Wickow: J O'Neill 0-5, G Weir, M Lee 1-0 each, A O'Brien, D Staunton 0-2 each, S Kelly, E Kearns, C Moorhouse 0-1 each.

London - J Barrett 7, C Hickey 7, M Ryan 8, K Fitzpatrick 7, E Cooney 7, B Regan 7, M Lynch 6, H Vaughan 7, T Healy 6, M Duggan 8, B Gaffney 7, M Ivors 8, P Murphy 6, M O'Dwyer 6, K Killilea 6. Subs: S Lambert 8 for Killilea, L Hands 6 for Gaffney, P Phelan 7 for P Murphy, D Egan for H Vaughan, N Rodgers for Maurice Lynch.

Wicklow - W O'Gorman 6, T Doyle 5, S Kelly 9, M O'Brien 5, E Dunne 6, J Henderson 6, L Kennedy 5, E Kearns 7, J Connors 6, A Byrne 5, J O'Neill 6, D Staunton 6, C Moorhouse 5, G Weir 5, A O'Brien 6. Subs: R Keddy 5 for Byrne ht, B Cuddihy 6 for Kennedy, M Lee for Weir, P Keane for T Doyle.

Ref - P O'Dwyer (Carlow).

Indo Sport

The Throw-In: 'Jim Gavin has achieved what Mick O'Dwyer and Brian Cody couldn't do'

In association with Bord Gáis Energy

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport