Sunday 18 March 2018

Sharpshooter Ryan on the rampage in Dublin stroll past Antrim

Dublin 3-25 Antrim 1-17

Dublin’s Cian Mac Giolla Bhríde under pressure from James Black, left, and Eddie McCloskey. Photo: Dáire Brennan / Sportsfile
Dublin’s Cian Mac Giolla Bhríde under pressure from James Black, left, and Eddie McCloskey. Photo: Dáire Brennan / Sportsfile
Dublin's Shane Durkin in action against antrim's Conor Johnston during their Bord na Mona Walsh Cup, Group 2, clash. Photo: Dáire Brennan / Sportsfile
Dublin's Niall McMorrow in action against Antrim's Kevin McKeran. Photo: Dáire Brennan / Sportsfile
Dublin's Paul Ryan in action against Antrim's Conor McKinley during their Bord na Mona Walsh Cup, Group 2 clash. Photo: Dáire Brennan / Sportsfile Newsdesk Newsdesk

Paul Ryan struck 1-10 as Dublin defeated Antrim by 14 points at the DCU grounds yesterday.

Ryan's goal in the fourth minute handed Dublin the perfect start, with the Ballyboden St Enda's man putting the finishing touches to a well-worked move involving Ben Quinn.

The visitors responded well to that setback through points from Eddie McCloskey, Kevin McKernan and Liam Watson before McCloskey brought his side level in the 21st minute with a confident finish past Conor Dooley.

In an even first half, Dublin possessed a greater goal threat into the breeze and Ryan fired over from 10 yards after Chris O'Connell had saved well from Eamonn Dillon.

Quinn added an excellent solo score for Dublin soon after but McKernan and Watson ensured Antrim remained in touch as they trailed by 1-11 to 1-10 at the break.


Despite Niall McKenna opening the second-half scoring, Antrim struggled as the contest evolved, with Dublin assuming control through successive scores from Chris Crummey, the impressive Niall McMorrow and Johnny McCaffrey.

Dillon put further daylight between the teams with a sublime individual goal in the 45th minute as Dublin put their foot firmly on the accelerator.

McMorrow and Ryan then added further points as the Antrim challenge wilted the longer the game went on.

Dillon was heavily involved in Dublin's third goal as he handed substitute Sean Reilly a relatively straightforward task of finding the net from close range with 15 minutes left with Antrim's defence against struggling to contain what was by now a rampant Dublin attack.

The contest petered out from that point with Ryan and Reilly tagging on points to complete the straightforward success for the home side.

Scorers - Dublin: P Ryan 1-10 (0-7fs), E Dillon 1-3, S Reilly 1-1, N McMorrow 0-4, C Crummey, J McCaffrey 0-2 each, D Treacy, B Quinn, D O'Connell 0-1 each. Antrim: L Watson 0-9 (7fs), E McCloskey 1-2, K McKernan 0-3, N McKenna, C Johnston, C Clarke 0-1 each.

Dublin - C Dooley; J Boland, O Gough, S Durkin; C Crummey, L Rushe, R Hardy; C Mac Giolla Bhríde, B Quinn; D Treacy, N McMorrow, C Bennett; P Ryan, F Mac Gibb, E Dillon. Subs: J McCaffrey for Hardy and D O'Connell for Mac Giolla Bhríde (h/t), S Reilly for Bennett (46), M Schutte for Dillon (67).

Antrim - C O'Connell; O McFadden, C McClelland, C McKinley; B McFall, S McRory, N McAuley; C Johnston, K McKernan; N McKenna, E McCloskey, J Black; C Clarke, L Watson, C Johnston. Subs: CJ McGourty for K McKernan and D Nugent for Black (46), D McKernan for Clarke (52), G McTaggart for O'Connell and G Walsh for McFall (67).

Ref - P O'Dwyer (Carlow).

Indo Sport

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport