Friday 25 May 2018

Nash penalty save vital as Kanturk see off Kilburn challenge

Kanturk 2-17 Kilburn Gaels 2-8, All-Ireland Club IHC q/final

Cork goalkeeper Anthony Nash pulled off a great penalty save. Photo: Piaras Ó Mídheach/Sportsfile
Cork goalkeeper Anthony Nash pulled off a great penalty save. Photo: Piaras Ó Mídheach/Sportsfile

Cork intermediate champions Kanturk overcame London senior kingpins Kilburn Gaels at Ruislip on Saturday to reach the All-Ireland IHC semi-final.

The visitors led throughout, with captain Lorcan O'Neill and Cork dual star Aidan Walsh - from a sideline cut - on target in the early stages, but it wasn't all one-way traffic.

Kilburn, for whom Galway's Stephen Lambert was the primary scoring threat, were back to within two points, 0-7 to 0-5, by the 20th minute and, though Liam O'Keeffe, with a free and a '65, stretched the Kanturk lead again, the locals had a chance to cut the deficit when awarded a penalty in injury time.

Lambert stepped up to take it, but Cork goalkeeper Anthony Nash pulled off a great save and the visitors set about extending their advantage again on the resumption.

advantage Ian Walsh had a point immediately after the restart before O'Keeffe added a goal to open up an eight-point advantage and Ian Walsh and Aidan Walsh added further points.

On 40, Kilburn again received a lifeline, this time as Offaly's Jodie Troy got in for a goal to bring them back to within seven and another point made it 1-12 to 1-6.

Aidan Walsh. Photo: Piaras Ó Mídheach/Sportsfile
Aidan Walsh. Photo: Piaras Ó Mídheach/Sportsfile

Kanturk's talisman Lorcán McLoughlin was on hand to give them another boost when he got their second goal with O'Keeffe and Ian Walsh pointing as well as they led by ten points with 12 minutes left.

Lambert did get a second Kilburn goal from a free, but it was cancelled out through Kanturk points from Ian Walsh, O'Neill and sub Dan O'Donoghue.

Kanturk will face Armagh's Middletown Na Fianna in the semi-final on January 21.

Scorers - Kanturk: L O'Keeffe 1-5 (4f, 1 '65), I Walsh 0-4, L McLoughlin 1-0, A Walsh (1 sl), L O'Neill 0-2 each, R Walsh, D Kenneally, A O'Keeffe, D O'Donoghue 0-1 each. Kilburn Gaels: S Lambert 1-6f, J Troy 1-1, K Kennedy 0-1.

Kanturk - A Nash; P Walsh, J McLoughlin, J Browne; L O'Neill, A Sheehy, D Browne; L McLoughlin, R Walsh; D Kenneally, I Walsh, J Fitzpatrick; L O'Keeffe, A Walsh, A O'Keeffe. Subs: E O'Connor for A O'Keeffe (49), M O'Riordan for Kenneally, D O'Connor for Fitzpatrick (both 54), D O'Donoghue for I Walsh (60).

Kilburn Gaels - J Barron; K Campion, N Coen, C Hickey; W Campion, B Regan, K Kennedy; A O'Leary, C McLinden; F Collins, M Duffan, S Conlon; S Lambert, J Troy, D Reale. Subs: A Murphy for Reale (42), S Carey for O'Leary (44), J Kelly for K Campion (50), M Lambert for Hickey (56).

Ref - J O'Brien (Laois)

Irish Independent

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport