| 18°C Dublin

Mulcahy shines as Kilmallock stun Na Piarsaigh

Limerick SHC


Graeme Mulcahy. Photo: Sportsfile

Graeme Mulcahy. Photo: Sportsfile


Graeme Mulcahy. Photo: Sportsfile

Kilmallock pulled off the biggest shock of the opening round of the Limerick SHC after seeing off competition favourites Na Piarsaigh.

Limerick star Graeme Mulcahy bagged 1-4 in a man-of-the-match performance to see his side to a 2-16 to 1-17 win.

Na Piarsaigh led by five points in the early stages but Kilmallock soon had the deficit back at the bare minimum. Adrian Breen's goal on 28 minutes pushed Na Piarsaigh clear again but a superb strike from Oisin O'Reilly saw just a point between the sides at the break. Things stayed tight in the opening quarter of the second half until Mulcahy's goal gave Kilmallock the final push to see them home.

Holders Patrickswell got off to a winning start but were pushed all the way in their opening tie with Adare. Ciaran Carey's men hit two goals in the final 12 minutes to get past an impressive Adare outfit.

Adare were up by five points at half-time thanks in large part to sharpshooting corner-forward Willie Griffin who hit 0-9 in the first half to give Adare a 0-17 to 1-9 advantage.

That lead grew to seven points at one stage in the second half but was reduced to two before Aaron Gillane fired into the back of the net for the second time 12 minutes from time.

Further points from Declan Hannon and Griffin saw Adare go ahead again but Patrickswell finished strongly with a third goal from Kevin O'Brien to win by 3-23 to 0-26 win.

Elsewhere, Ballybrown impressed with a 4-18 to 2-14 win over newcomers Blackrock. The game was effectively over by half-time with Ballybrown captain Andrew Cliffe landing 1-7 of his side's total. Cliffe continued that momentum into the second half to seal a easy win - finishing with 2-11.

Monaleen also got off to a promising start following their 1-15 to 0-12 victory against South Liberties. The city side trailed by six at the end of the first quarter but a Mark O'Dwyer goal from a penalty reduced the gap to a point by half-time. Backed by a gale, Monaleen fired over 11 points after the restart to Liberties' four and earn a fine victory.

Irish Independent