Tuesday 22 May 2018

Match reports: Carlow book their place in Christy Ring decider

Carlow 0-24 Wicklow 2-8

'Wicklow’s Andy O’Brien pointed from play immediately after the restart and a George O’Brien goal followed by a Diarmuid Masterson pointed free had the leeway down to five points.' Stock picture: Sportsfile
'Wicklow’s Andy O’Brien pointed from play immediately after the restart and a George O’Brien goal followed by a Diarmuid Masterson pointed free had the leeway down to five points.' Stock picture: Sportsfile

Independent.ie Sportsdesk

Carlow hurlers recovered from an early second half blip, which saw their half time lead of 10 points halved by a resurgent Wicklow, before Colm Bonnar’s side regained control of this Christy Ring Cup semi-final at Netwatch Cullen Park in front of an attendance of 1,200.

The home county led from start to finish, getting off to a flying start with four early points from Jack Kavanagh, Denis Murphy (free), John Michael Nolan and team captain Marty Kavanagh.

.A well-worked 11th minute goal from Wicklow’s Eoin McCormack, after George O’Brien did the donkey work, cut the Carlow lead to two points (0-6 to 1-1) but Bonnar’s men took charge of the rest of the half to lead 0-16 to 1-3 at the interval.

Wicklow’s Andy O’Brien pointed from play immediately after the restart and a George O’Brien goal followed by a Diarmuid Masterson pointed free had the leeway down to five points.

Denis Murphy settled Carlow with a pointed free and the Barrowsiders proceeded to close out the game and emerge 10 point victors, with a victory which sees them qualify for a Christy Ring Cup final on June 10 in Croke Park.

Scorers – Carlow: D Murphy 0-8, 0-6f, J M Nolan 0-5, M Kavanagh 0-3, J Kavanagh, C Nolan, P Coady 0-2 each, K McDonald, E Byrne 0-1 each. Wicklow: A O’Brien 0-4, 0-1f, E McCormack and G O’Brien 1-0 each, D Staunton, J Henderson, D Masterson (f), R Keddy 0-1 each.
Carlow: J Carroll; A Corcoran, P Doyle, G Bennett; R Coady, D English, R Kelly; J Kavanagh, P Coady; J M Nolan, M Kavanagh, J Murphy; D Murphy, K McDonald, C Nolan. Subs: E Byrne for Murphy (47); G Coady for P Coady (64); J O’Hara for R Coady (69); E Redmond for English (70 +1); E Nolan for Bennett (70+2).
Wicklow: E O’Mahoney; W Kavanagh, S Kelly, M O’Brien; G Byrne, J Henderson, E Kearns; D Staunton, R Keddy; P Keane, P Doyle, D Masterson; G O’Brien, A O’Brien, E McCormack. Subs: A Byrne for Keane (31); J Byrne for McCormack (60); L Moloney for Kearns (61); M Verney for A Byrne (68); W Kinsella for Keddy (70).
Referee: J Keane (Galway).


Antrim 4-23 Down 0-15


Antrim’s hurlers safely navigated past Down yesterday to seal a place in the Christy Ring Cup final for the second year in a row.

First half goals from Conor Johnston and Ciaran Clarke helped Antrim to a 2-12 to 0-7 half-time lead and the home side continued to dominate after the whistle, outscoring Marty Mallon’s side by nine points after the restart.

Clarke split the Down defence after 19 seconds and by the time Johnston raised his second green flag on 64 minutes, many of the small crowd had already made their way to the exit as Antrim turn their minds to what will surely be a stiffer test against Carlow in the Christy Ring Cup final on June 10 at Croke Park.

SCORERS – Antrim: C Clarke 2-7, (7f) Conor Johnston 2-1, N McManus 0-6, (1f) C McKinley, C McCann 0-3 each, C Carson 0-2, P Burke 0-1. Down: C O’Prey 0-4, (3f, 0-1 sideline), D Toner 0-3, S Nicholson, C Mageean, M Magee 0-2 each, C Egan, P Sheehan 0-1 each.
Antrim: C O’Connell; S Rooney, J Dillon, S McCrory; Ciaran Johnston, P Burke, O McFadden; C McKinley, P McGill; N McAuley, C McCann, E Campbell; Conor Johnston, N McManus, C Clarke Subs: J Maskey for P McGill (44), C Carson for Ciaran Johnston (49), R Diamond for S Rooney (57)
Down: S Keith; J McManus, M Hughes, S Ennis; S Nicholson, C Woods, C O’Prey; D Hughes, D McManus; C Mageean, M Magee, M Ennis; C Egan, C Taggart, D Toner   P Sheehan for S Nicholson (45), O McManus for D McManus (60), P McManus for J McManus (60)
Referee: J Murphy (Limerick)


Armagh 2-25 Tyrone 1-14

Armagh overwhelmed Tyrone at Carrickmore to reach the Nicky Rackard Cup final.

David Carvill’s early goal set the tone, and the Orchard men led by 1-13 to 0-5 at the break.

Bryan McGurk pulled back a Tyrone goal, but Nathan Curry netted a penalty, and Carvill’s 1-11 tally carried the visitors comfortably to Croke Park.

Scorers — Armagh: D Carvill 1-11 (0-6f), N Curry 1-4 (1-0 pen, 0-2f), R Gaffney, C Corvan (1f) 0-3 each, F Bradley, D McKenna, D Magee, D Gaffney 0-1 each.
Tyrone: B McGurk 1-1, D Casey 0-11 (8f, 1 ’65), C Grogan, R McKernan 0-1 each.


Derry 6-18 Monaghan 1-12


For the second time in a few weeks Derry showed why they should not be competing in the Rackard Cup as they blitzed Monaghan in Inniskeen yesterday.

Derry led at half-time by 2-7 to 0-5 the goals by Brian Cassidy and Alan Grant before a third by Brendan Rodgers put Derry in an unassailable position and they ran out comprehensive winners.

Scorers – Derry: B Rodgers 3-1, A Grant 1-4, R Convery 1-3, B Cassidy 1-2, M McGrath 0-4, D Cartin and A Kelly 0-2 each.
Monaghan: D Meegan 0-6 (5f), S Lambe 0-4 (1f), T Campbell 1-0, M Treanor and P Treanor 0-1 each.


Cavan 4-17 Fermanagh  0-17


Dublin’s Sheanon brothers led the way as Cavan broke their Lory Meagher Cup duck at Fermanagh’s Lisbellaw HQ.

The Cuala clubmen accounted for all but 1-5 of the winners’ tally after team-mate Kevin Conneely’s fourth-minute goal paved the way for a surprise result.

The visitors led by 3-12 to 0-7 at the interval with Colum Sheanon’s 57th-minute goal putting to bed any hopes of igniting a Fermanagh revival.

Scorers – Fermanagh: S Corrigan 0-9, (5f);  C Corrigan; S Curran 0-2 each ; F McBrien; C McShea; R Bogue; B McGarry 0-1 each.
Cavan: Colum Sheanon 2-5; J Sheanon 1-6, 1f; K Conneely 1-0; Cillian Sheanon;  S Keating; R O’Hagan; D Cahill (f); M Sexton; N Browne 0-1 each.


Leitrim 3-15 Sligo3-8


Leitrim hurlers made history qualifying for their first All-Ireland final against Warwickshire when they comfortably defeated pre-match favourites Sligo at sunny Carrick-on-Shannon yesterday.

The home side got off to a flying start with two Padraig O’Donnell goals to lead 2-4 to 0-1 after 15 minutes. However Sligo responded with three goals of their own, two by Matthew Davey and Michael Gilmartin to give Leitrim a tenuous half time lead of 2-7 to 3-3.

But as the Sligo challenge faded, Zak Moradi clinched a famous Leitrim victory with a goal three minutes from time.

Scorers — Leitrim: P O’Donnell 2-6 (3 65 2f ), Z Moradi 1-2, K McDermott 0-3, C Moreton 0-2, C O’Donovan 0-2. Sligo: M Davey 2-0, M Gilmartin 1-0, K Raymond 0-2 (1f), C Behan 0-3, K Banks, M O’Callaghan, C Griffin 0-1 each.

Sunday Independent

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport