Thursday 14 December 2017

Mannion's early hat-trick blows dismal Dubs apart

Galway 5-19 Dublin 1-18

Cathal Mannion celebrates completing his hat-trick for Galway in the win over Dublin yesterday evening. Photo: Piaras Ó Mídheach
Cathal Mannion celebrates completing his hat-trick for Galway in the win over Dublin yesterday evening. Photo: Piaras Ó Mídheach
Liam Rushe, Dublin, catches a puckout ahead of team-mates Shane Durking, 7, and Ryan O'Dwyer and Cyril Donnellan, Galway
Galway goalkeeper Colm Callanan saves a penalty from Dublin's Paul Ryan
Joe Canning, Galway, tussles with Dublin goalkeeper Alan Nolan and Conal Keaney, top, after scoring his side's fourth goal
Dublin's Danny Sutcliffe tangles with Galway's Joe Canning during the first half

Dermot Crowe

Can six days allow for the transformation witnessed in Tullamore last night? Galway won with an ease they could never have anticipated - the county's first senior championship win over Dublin in six attempts - but there was a hefty degree of contributory negligence on Dublin's part.

A strong forceful wind blew downfield, favouring Galway in the first half, yet Dublin faced the music with little in the way of added protection, as if facing a light breeze. They paid a heavy price and by the time they cottoned on the game was over, Galway filling their boots and accelerating into a 3-10 to 0-1 lead after only 19 minutes.

Dublin's management will not look back on this as one of their finer days. Simon Lambert started at centre-back. Michael Carton played at full-back as Peter Kelly did not recover from injury, and they recalled Paul Schutte. Schutte is a fine marker but his sharpness wasn't at the standard we have come to expect after being out of the game with an ankle injury.

A combination of that and Dublin's tactical freeze contributed to Galway's explosive start. Cathal Mannion had an afternoon he won't forget in a hurry and bagged his three goals after only 11 minutes. He ended the day with 3-3 from play, having shown his potential in the drawn game.

Mannion's third goal epitomised Dublin's disarray. A puck-out from Colm Callanan ran down the throat of Dublin's defence and Mannion stole in to apply a vital nick and guide it past Alan Nolan. It was a gift. If Schutte had a tough time trying to deal with Mannion his prospects were not helped by the room being afforded around him.

Eighteen points down after 19 minutes, Dublin were finished. They could have made the task less onerous; in a horror show of a first half they also missed two penalties. David Treacy was guilty of the first when his shot streaked high and wide. By then, just six minutes in, Dublin had already conceded two goals. Each time Mannion got free of Schutte and planted a low shot to Nolan's right, tucking it inside the post. The goals fired Galway's confidence. By the time Liam Rushe was moved to centre-back and Shane Durkin put in as a sweeper, it was too late for Dublin. They won another penalty when Ryan O'Dwyer was fouled but Paul Ryan, replacing Treacy to take the penalty, had his well-struck shot brilliantly saved by Callanan, diving low to his left. Ryan scored the '65 to leave Dublin 0-7 to 3-13 adrift at the halfway mark.

Slim hopes of a Dublin recovered were demolished within five minutes with two more goals, both from Joe Canning, who was a subdued figure in the drawn match but ended this match with 2-3 from play.

The first resulted from Canning winning a ball on the right wing while straying from position, taking on Michael Carton, and placing the ball over Nolan. Five minutes later he outfielded Chris Crummey and goaled again.

Galway switched their free-taking duties from Canning to Jason Flynn who stood up well and finished with nine points, seven from placed balls. Mark Schutte, Dublin's most threatening forward in the drawn game, managed only one point. Dotsy O'Callaghan was withdrawn and when Eamonn Dillon scored a late goal, it made little difference.

Galway, after two bad summers, face Offaly or Laois on June 20. The more perilous route of the qualifiers awaits Dublin in four weeks after much navel-gazing.

Scorers - Galway: C Mannion 3-3; J Flynn 0-9 (0-7fs), J Canning 2-3, A Smith, C Donnellan, A Harte, P Brehony 0-1. Dublin: P Ryan 0-7 (0-3 '65s, 0-3fs), E Dillon 1-1, D Treacy 0-2 (0-1f), D O'Connell 0-2, D Sutcliffe, S Lambert (f), R O'Dwyer, M Schutte, C Boland, L Rushe 0-1.

Galway: C Callanan; J Coen, J Hanbury, P Mannion; D Collins, I Tannian, Daithi Burke; A Harte, J Cooney; A Smith, C Donnellan, J Glynn; C Mannion, J Canning, J Forde. Subs: David Burke for Cooney (44 mins); P Brehony for Donnellan (45); F Moore for P Mannion (62); G Lally for Coen (63); D Glennon for Smith (65).

Dublin: A Nolan; P Schutte, M Carton, C O'Callaghan; C Crummey, S Lambert, C Keaney; S Durkin, D O'Connell; R O'Dwyer, L Rushe, D Sutcliffe; D O'Callaghan, M Schutte, D Treacy. Subs: P Ryan for Treacy (36 mins); E Dillon for D O'Callaghan (h-t); C Boland for O'Dwyer (50); J McCaffrey for Carton (52); C Dooley for Ryan (67).

Referee: B Gavin (Offaly)

Irish Independent Sport Star Awards

Pick our magic sports moment of the year and win a trip for two to London. To view the shortlist and cast your vote click here.

Sunday Indo Sport

Promoted Links

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport