Thursday 23 November 2017

Last-gasp Tomkins point books Model a derby date with Deise

Wexford 0-22 Laois 0-21

Wexford's Conor McDonald tries to evade Laois's Photo: Piaras Ó Mídheach / SPORTSFILE
Wexford's Conor McDonald tries to evade Laois's Photo: Piaras Ó Mídheach / SPORTSFILE
Wexford's Shane Tompkins celebrates after scoring the winning point Photo: Piaras Ó Mídheach / SPORTSFILE
Wexford's Lee Chin battles with Laois's Charles Dwyer for control of the sliotar Photo: Piaras Ó Mídheach / SPORTSFILE Newsdesk Newsdesk

A Shane Tomkins point deep into injury-time snatched victory for Wexford at O'Moore Park.

Tomkins struck in the 73rd minute to grab a win that sealed third place in Division 1B and booked a quarter-final date with Waterford.

Manager Liam Dunne will have had mixed emotions after the game, as Wexford should have been in control of proceedings, only for Laois keeper Enda Rowland to deny them with a string of impressive saves.

Those missed chances looked like coming back to haunt them late on when Laois took a two-point lead with normal time almost up, but Wexford staged a frantic late recovery to seal the victory.

Laois, in search of a first win of a dismal League campaign, opened brightly with a point from John Lennon after just 10 seconds. Willie Hyland added another to keep up the optimism in the home support, but Tomkins soon got Wexford on the scoreboard.


A quick-fire double followed from Conor McDonald, one from a free, to put the visitors ahead for the first time, but PJ Scully restored parity.

The opening stages remained cagey, as neither side were able to impose themselves on proceedings enough to be in control.

McDonald and Willie Dunphy traded points to keep the sides level at 0-4 each, and two more for each side meant there was no separating them on 15 minutes.

Wexford then went on a run of four points without reply to open up their biggest lead of the game, and Laois could only make small inroads into the deficit before half-time, the visitors leading 0-14 to 0-11 at the break.

Laois came out all guns blazing in the second half and quickly drew level thanks to points from PJ Scully, and that set the tone for the half.

Rowland made two brilliant saves in quick succession and Laois kicked on, eventually opening up a two point lead. They held it for as long as they could, but Wexford eventually reeled them in.

SCORERS - Wexford: C McDonald 0-8 (7fs), S Tomkins 0-5, I Byrne 0-4 (1f), P Morris 0-2, L Óg McGovern, C Dunbar, L Chin 0-1 each. Laois: PJ Scully 0-9 (7fs), C Dwyer 0-3, P Purcell, W Dunphy, W Hyland 0-2 each, C Stapleton, S Maher, J Lennon 0-1 each.

LAOIS - E Rowland 9; C Healy 7, R Mullaney 7, D Maher 6; L Bergin 6, M Whelan 6, T Delaney 6; P Purcell 7, C Stapleton 7; W Hyland 7, C Dwyer 7, J Lennon 6; S Maher 6, W Dunphy 6, PJ Scully 8. Reps: P Lalor 7 for Delaney (23), C McEvoy 7 for Bergin (44), R King 6 for Dunphy (44), B Reddin 6 for Stapleton (55, inj), B O'Mara for Maher (64)

WEXFORD - C O'Leary 7; L Ryan 7, M O'Hanlon 6, J Breen 6; E Moore 6, P Foley 6, J O'Connor 7; L Chin 6, I Byrne 8; H Kehoe 6, S Tomkins 8, A Nolan 6; P Morris 7, C McDonald 7, L Óg McGovern 6. Reps: D O'Keeffe 6 for Breen (44), C Dunbar 7 for Kehoe (54), E Conroy 6 for O'Connor (61), A Kenny for Morris (66)

Ref - S Cleere (Kilkenny)

Indo Sport

Promoted Links

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport