Henderson to rescue for Wicklow

Wicklow 0-24 Meath 1-21, Kehoe Cup Round 3

Stock photo: Sportsfile

Independent.ie Sportsdesk

A smashing injury-time point by centre-back John Henderson earned Wicklow hurlers a deserved draw with Meath after a ding-dong battle in the Kehoe Cup at Arklow.

A place in the semi-finals rested on yesterday's result but Meath go through by virtue of a better score difference in their respective games against runaway winners Antrim.

The sides were level eight times over the 70 minutes, and deadlocked six times in the first half alone.

Meath had the better start with Pádraig O'Hanrahan showing the way but Wicklow fought back, drawing level several times before an on-fire Andy O'Brien fired them ahead with a point from play.

Midfielder O'Hanrahan landed five of those Meath points - four frees and a '65 - and they went on to dominate the last ten minutes of the half to lead 0-11 to 0-7 at the break. Hanrahan stretched the Meath lead to five points after the restart and it looked plain sailing as they led 0-14 to 0-8 after 41 minutes. But Wicklow resurged, led by Andy O'Brien who finished up with 16 points, mostly from frees and '65s.

Meath scored a goal on 53 minutes, bundled to the net by Mickey Mullen, but Wicklow were rewarded with Henderson's equaliser.

Scorers - Wicklow: Andy O'Brien 0-16 (9f, 2 '65), D Saunton, J Henderson, J Cranley 0-2 each, J O'Neill, G Weir O-1 each. Meath: M Mullen 1-4, P O'Hanrahan 0-6 (3f, '65), A Douglas 0-4, N Smullen 0-3, J Regan 0-2 (1f), N Potterton, M Burke 0-1 each.

Wicklow - R Fitzgerald; D Quinn, B Cuddihy, B Kearney; C Breen, J Henderson, M O'Brien; J Doyle, E McCormack; G Byrne, D Staunton, J O'Neill; G O'Brien A O'Brien, J Cranley.

Subs: S Maloney for D Quinn (h-t), G Hughes for G O'Brien (42), P Doyle for J O'Neill (46), L Evans for G Hughes, G Weir for J Cranley (62).

Meath - C Ennis; S Ennis, S Brennan, R Jerrigan; L Moran, K Keoghan, S Whitty; P O'Hanrahan, P Slevin; J Walsh, M Burke, N Smullen; M Mullen, A Douglas, N Potterton. Subs: J Regan for P O'Hanrahan (48), P Potterton for J Walsh (48), N McLarnon for L Moran (58).

Ref - J McGrath (Westmeath)