Sunday 18 February 2018

Flashback: This weekend in past seasons

Five years ago this week: Shefflin inspires classy Cats

Kilkenny's Henry Shefflin
Kilkenny's Henry Shefflin
Clare's Seanie McMahon
Cork sharpshooter Joe Deane Newsdesk Newsdesk

Galway came into the final seeking to win their first ever Leinster title but they were met by an effortless Kilkenny side who reasserted their dominance by claiming their sixth successive provincial title and their 67th in all.

Kilkenny 1-19 Galway 1-12 Leinster SHC Final

It was the Cats' 20th consecutive championship win and in truth, the eventual seven-point winning margin, didn't reflect just how much they were in control of proceedings.

Kilkenny upped the tempo in rampant six-minute, second-half spell in which they finished it 10 points in front and after that Brian Cody's men were out of sight.

Damien Hayes' 19th-minute goal helped Galway into a six-point lead after just 14 minutes but, led by the imperious Henry Shefflin, the Cats clawed their way back into the game.

Shefflin finished the game with 1-7 to his name as he kept up Kilkenny's pursuit of a historic fifth All-Ireland title in a row.

Elsewhere, in the Munster football final, Kerry's class shone through against a brave Limerick outfit with Colm Cooper scoring the crucial goal after 49 minutes.

Ten years ago this week: Clare leave it late

Clare1-12 Offaly 1-11 All-Ireland SHC Qualifier

With pride at stake after being hammered just a few weeks previously, Offaly fell agonisingly short against Clare.

Points from David Hoey and Niall Gilligan (free) pulled the Banner level with six minutes remaining and Offaly were left to rue Brian Carroll's miss shortly after.

Aidan Hanrahan was adjudged to have picked the ball off the ground and the nerveless Seanie McMahon stepped up to fire Clare into the All-Ireland quarter-finals in the dying stages.

Clare were joined in the last eight by Galway who had no trouble in dispatching of Antrim (3-29 to 0-10).

After failing to score in the previous game against Laois, Damien Hayes fired over six points to help the Tribesmen to a comfortable 28-point win.

Meanwhile, Kilkenny were expected to have it all their own way in their Leinster decider against Wexford but the Cats were pushed all the way in their slender three-point win.

Man of the match Tommy Walsh scored four points in an impressive display.

Fifteen years ago this week: Deane points the way

Cork 0-23 Tipperary 3-12 Munster SHC Final

Led by the outstanding Joe Deane, Cork ran out winners in what was a pulsating second half of their Munster final clash with old foes Tipperary.

The prolific forward scored 10 points but his all-round contribution and in particular the havoc he caused in and around the Tipperary square was just as crucial.

Deane combined with Ben O'Connor and Seanie McGrath to score 16 second-half points.

Eugene O'Neill had rattled the back of the net after 29 minutes to leave the sides level at half-time and although Tommy Dunne scored two second-half goals, the Rebels had just enough to claim the title.

Derry overcame the loss of their inspirational captain Anthony Tohill to advance to the Ulster football final.

Antrim had deservedly earned a second crack at Derry and at half-time of the replay, they threatened to cause an upset but 1-4 from Paddy Bradley eased the Oak Leafers to a nine-point win (1-17 to 2-5).

Dublin kept up their hopes of winning their first Leinster football title in five years after overcoming a stiff Westmeath challenge (1-14 to 0-11).

Indo Sport

Promoted Links

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport