Thursday 22 February 2018

Fitzgibbon Cup round-up: UCC bow out, Mary I blitz DIT, GMIT edge feisty encounter

Limerick IT 2-15 UCC 1-14

UCD's Padraic Guinan in action against David Hennessy of Maynooth University in the HE GAA Fitzgibbon Cup, Group A, Round 3,
UCD's Padraic Guinan in action against David Hennessy of Maynooth University in the HE GAA Fitzgibbon Cup, Group A, Round 3, Newsdesk Newsdesk

UCC exited at the group stage for the second successive year as they succumbed at the Mardyke.

Having lost to UCD in their opening game, the hosts needed to win by two points to have any hope of reaching the quarter-finals.

However, though they hit the front when Alan Cadogan scored a 52nd-minute goal to put them 1-13 to 1-12 ahead, they were undone by another LIT surge.

Peter Duggan finished with 1-4 for Davy Fitzgerald’s side and it was his point which levelled before David Dempsey took advantage of David Reidy’s pass to fire to the net and put them back in front.

Barry Lawton had a goal effort tipped over by Eibhear Quilligan, but that was the closest UCC came to salvaging something as Duggan and Alan Dempsey rounded off the win for LIT.

With the wind in the first half, UCC had led for long periods, Rob O’Shea converting frees and Cormac Murphy had two points from distance from play.

While their shooting was far from perfect, LIT didn’t leave them out of their sight and were level by half-time at 0-7 each and Duggan’s goal soon put them ahead. Cadogan’s goal looked to have swung things, but it was LIT’s day.

SCORERS – Limerick IT:  P Duggan 1-4 (0-2f), D Dempsey 1-2, D Byrnes 0-3fs, M O’Malley, A Dempsey 0-2 each, C Barrett, D Reidy (f) 0-1 each. UCC: R O’Shea 0-7fs, A Cadogan 1-0, C Murphy, B Lawton 0-2 each, N McCarthy, J Power, T Devine 0-1 each.

LIMERICK IT – E Quilligan; N O’Connor, K Bennett, O O’Brien; C Nolan, W Ryan, D Byrnes; J Campion, C Barrett; J Shanahan, M O’Malley, D Dempsey; N Maher, P Duggan, D Reidy. Subs: A Dempsey for Campion (36), W Connors for Nolan (46), S Gleeson for Maher (58).

UCC – K Hogan; C Gleeson, M Breen, S Roche; R Cahalane, D Morrissey, G O’Brien; J Barron, C Murphy; T Devine, N McCarthy, R O’Shea; A Cadogan, S O’Donnell, J Power. Subs: B Lawton for Cahalane (39), DJ Foran for Devine (48, injured), E Finn for Power (58).

REF – F Horgan (Tipperary)


Mary Immaculate College 1-20; Dublin IT 0-5

EAMON Cregan’s Mary Immaculate College progressed on scoring difference as table-toppers from Group C of the Fitzgibbon Cup.

Cregan’s charges had 18 points to spare over Dublin IT at Parnell’s GAA club in Coolock yesterday, pushing Limerick rivals UL into second place.

Limerick stars Declan Hannon, Cian Lynch and promising young midfielder Darragh O’Donovan were very much to the fore for the 2013 runners-up.

Hannon hit nine points, including six frees, while O’Donovan added five white flags and Lynch chipped in with a brace.

Lynch also produced a typically audacious piece of skill in the build-up to Darragh Corry’s 35th-minute goal that put the end result beyond any doubt.

With the icy breeze at their backs in the opening half, Mary I romped to a seven-point half-time lead, 0-10 to 0-3.

Aware of the mathematical implications, the winners kicked for home.

Scorers – Mary I: D Hannon 0-9 (6fs), D Corry 1-2, D O’Donovan 0-5 (1f, 1 ‘65’), C Lynch 0-2, S Cahill, C Galvin 0-1 each. DIT: J Guiney 0-3fs, C Sheehan, D McNicholas (f) 0-1 each.

Mary I – M O’Conghaile; E Quirke, R English, A Ryan; R Maher, T Stapleton, J Meagher; S Cahill, D O’Donovan; C Galvin, N O’Meara, D Corry; D Reidy, D Hannon, C Lynch. Subs: S Linnane for O’Meara (45), A Flynn for Quirke (50), M O’Neill for Reidy (52).

DUBLIN IT – P McKenna; S McClelland, T Doyle, C Robinson; S Barrett, L Chin, D Guinan; J Henderson, G Whelan; J Guiney, C Sheehan, R Greville; D McNicholas, J Sweeney, AJ Murphy. Subs: C O’Donoghue for McClelland (29), B Kelly for McNicholas (50).

Ref – M Murtagh (Westmeath).


GMIT 1-4 UUJ 0-4

Jackson McGreevey and Johnny O’Dwyer both saw straight red cards as GMIT defeated 13-man UUJ to reach the quarter-final.

Darragh Burke’s goal 12 minutes from time finally gave GMIT the win after a game played in desperate weather conditions at the Connacht GAA Centre in Bekan.

GMIT now face an away clash with Group C winners Mary Immaculate College next week.

Nicky McKeague hit both UUJ points before half-time as scores from Burke and Conor Gardiner had the teams tied at 0-2 each at the interval.

McGreavy saw red for an off the ball incident in the 18th minute, and O’Dwyer joined him on the sidelines nine minutes from time after he made contact with Jarlath Mannion’s helmet.

At that stage David Mangan had levelled the scores after a bright third quarter from UUJ, but Burke’s goal in the 48th minute gave GMIT a deserved win and the runner-up slot in Group D.

Scorers – GMIT: D Burke 1-1 (1f), C Gardiner, B Tuohey, D Mangan 0-1 each. UU Jordanstown: N McKeague 0-4 (3f).

GMIT – J Barrett; D Cronin, I Creaven, J Finnerty; L Cosgrave, P Hoban, S Collins; D Burke, D Conroy; B Tuohey, J Mooney, J Mannion; D Mangan, D Nevin, C Gardiner. Subs: D Ward for Gardiner (40), R Ellis for Cosgrave (51), C Reilly for Hoban (67), D Cooney for Finnerty (69).

UU JORDANSTOWN – C Heyden; S Rooney, R Brannigan, N Devlin; G Walsh, T Mannion, T O Ciaran; M Dudley, D McKernan; J McGreevey, S McAfee, A Kelly; J Connolly, A Dooley, N McKeague. Subs: R Courtney for O Ciaran (23), J O’Connell for McKernan (27), J O’Dwyer for Dooley (h-t), A Curtin for McKeague (48).

Ref – K McGeeney (Roscommon).


NUI Galway 0-16 UL 0-15

Tipperary sharpshooter John McGrath hit nine points for UL as the reigning champions advanced to the knockout phase despite this defeat at Rhebogue in Limerick.

It looked for long periods as though NUIG had done enough to advance, as they led by 0-13 to 0-6 at half-time, having played with the wind – McGrath’s four points kept UL in touch.

They still held a three-point advantage with just over five minutes left, but they needed to sustain that margin.

But late scores from McGrath and Kevin O’Brien meant that NUIG crashed out of Group C despite their victory, and wing-forward Bobby Duggan’s nine-point haul.

“Full credit to our lads, they worked hard and got themselves back into the game, with a lot of things going against us on the day,” said UL manager Brian Lohan.

“We have such a good bunch of players, a very committed group and they did well today.

SCORERS – NUI Galway: B Duggan 0-9 (8fs), N O’Brien, P Mannion 0-2, C Mannion, K McHugo, O Donnellan 0-1. University of Limerick: J McGrath 0-9 (7fs), T Morrissey 0-2, J Forde (f), K Hehir, K O’Brien, D Fitzgerald 0-1.

NUI Galway – C Tuohy; C Ryan, B Fitzpatrick, R Lane; S Cooney, J Hanbury, P Mannion; N O’Brien, O Donnellan; B Duggan, K McHugo, M Mullins; J Fox, C Whelan, C Mannion. Subs: G Hennelly for Fox (49), S Hynes for Lane (54).

University of Limerick – P Maher; M Casey, J Browne, S Roche; A McGuane, B Heffernan, B Stapleton; K Hehir, D Fitzgerald; J Forde, T Morrissey, C Martin; J McGrath, K O’Brien, T Heffernan. Subs: P Ryan for McGuane (38), C McInerney for Heffernan (42), B Maher for Hehir (51).

REF – C McAllister (Cork).


IT Carlow 1-8 WIT 1-5

Hosts Carlow IT put in a storming second half to turn a half time deficit of three points into a winning margin of the same dimension in this third round Fitzgibbon Cup tie at the IT grounds last night to qualify for a home quarter-final in the competition.

The driving rain, wind and bitterly cold conditions accounted for the low scoring but both teams deserve commendation for a keenly contested tie between the group's two previously unbeaten sides.

Waterford had slightly the better of the opening half, with a 24th minute goal from right half forward Owen McGrath's 24th minute goal putting the visiting students 1-3 to 0-3 in front, after Ciarán O'Brien was provider in selling a dummy to a Carlow defender.

By half time McGrath goal separated the sides (1-4 to 0-4).

But the D J Carey coached Carlow side was the dominant force in the second half, driven on by outstanding displays from defenders Ross Brown, Michael Harney and Damien Healy.

In the 39th minute Carlow hit the front when James Doyle, the only Carlow player on the home side, scored a close range goal to edge his side 1-5 to 1-4 in front.

From there on Carlow drove for victory, improving on their first half showing. Laois player Stephen Maher top-scored with 0-6, 0-5 from frees while Doyle's goal, supplemented by points from Kevin Kelly and goalie Enda Rowland from a long-range free, completed their tally.

WIT could lonly manage one second half score, an injury time point from Waterford senior player Austin Gleeson.

Scorers: IT Carlow: S Maher 0-6, 0-5f, J Doyle l-0, K Kelly, E Rowland (f) 0-1 each. WIT: O McGrath 1-0, T Fox 0-2f, A Gleeson 0-2f, S Roche 0-1f.

IT Carlow: E Rowland; D Palmer, K Hannafin, R Brown; D Healy, W Young, M Harney; C Dunford, M Russell; C Dwyer, K Kelly, S Maher; J Doyle, J Fagan, C Bolger. WIT: M Fanning; W Hahessy G Teehan, J Maher; T Fox, S McNulty, F McGrath; J Langton, S Roche; O McGrath, A Gleeson, J Hayes; S Ryan, M Lynch, C O'Brien. Subs: F Butler for Roche (38); J Doyle for Ryan (50); J Henderson for McGrath (52); O Dempsey for Maher (58).

Referee: B Gavin (Offaly).


DCU 2-17 St-Pat’s-Mater Dei 1-20

A last gasp Danny Sutcliffe free secured a share of the spoils in this Fitzgibbon Cup Group B dead-rubber tie at DCU last night.

The former Dublin Senior hurler brought his tally to three points with this late strike, on a night where heavy winds and driving rain dominated proceedings.

Waterford’s Paddy Curran fired five first-half points, as St Pat’s led by 0-11 to 0-9 at the break, with Sutcliffe, Gary Howard and Cathal Curran, brother of Paddy, keeping DCU in touch.

The hosts firmly turned this contest on the restart, as Nick Weir’s charges turned a two-point interval deficit into a seven-point lead.

DCU pushed into a comfortable lead inside three minutes of the restart, scoring 2-3 without reply including goals from Howard and Ballygunner player Peter Hogan.

2-12 to 0-11 in front, DCU looked in firm control, but Pat’s never gave up with Curran and Jack McGrath firing points.

A point from Westmeath hurler and Pat’s captain Eoin Price, ensured a 2-14 to 0-16 score-line.

Subsitute Christy Breathnach netted in the 58th minute to level the tie, and while a tenth point from Curran put Pats ahead late on, Sutcliffe delivered a late equaliser.

DCU: D Renehan; J Tyrell, T French, P O’Dea, M Daly; K Fitzgerald, M Heaney (0-1), D Barden; C Curran (0-2), G Howard (1-2); D Sutcliffe (0-3, 2f), D Staunton (0-1), P Hogan (1-3); C Joyce (0-3, 2f), N O’Connor. Subs: S Gray (0-2) for Hogan (26); E McHugh for Daly (47); P Lynam for Howard (57).

St Pats/Mater Dei: P Simms; D Egan, C Shaw, K Treacy; B Hanlon, R Fitzpatrick, J McGrath (0-2, 1f); N Mullins, J de Barun (0-1); W Murphy (0-1), M Collins (0-1), E Price (0-1); J Bruton (0-1), P Curran (0-10, 5f), T Devlin (0-3). Subs: F Ó Cuirrin for Bruton (40); C Breatnach (1-0) for Murphy (52).

Referee: James McGrath (Westmeath)


UCD 1-13 Maynooth University 0-10

They were made to work for their victory against Maynooth University, but UCD ultimately booked their place in the quarter-final of the Fitzgibbon Cup at Belfield last night.

In difficult conditions, Maynooth had opened the scoring with a third-minute free from Paul Winters, but following unanswered points from Jack O'Connor, Oisin O'Rourke (two) and impressive half-forward James Maher, Nicky English's hosts had developed a three-point advantage (0-4 to 0-1) by the end of the first-quarter.

However, despite creating a host of scoring opportunities, UCD were proving to be rather wasteful in front of the Maynooth goal, and a second pointed free by Winters kept the visitors in touch.

A long-distance score from roaming corner-back Eoin Conroy lifted the UCD  spirits, though, and after a 24th-minute Ciaran Prendergast goal was supplemented by Maher and Sean Moran points, they held a commanding 1-7 to 0-2 interval cushion.

Maynooth were left with a mountain to climb when the action resumed, but courtesy of five points without reply - including a 0-4 salvo by the magnificent Winters - the north Kildare college were asking serious questions of their much-fancied opponents.

The UCD nerves were settled by much-needed contributions from Offaly's Padraic Guinan and O'Rourke, but when Niall Kenny split the posts from close-range, Maynooth were facing into a manageable four-point deficit.

This offered Liam Hogan's men a fighting chance, but even though Winters brought his personal haul up to 0-8, UCD finished strongly with points from Maher (two), Guinan and O'Rourke - and will now face IT Carlow in the last-eight.

Scorers - UCD: O O'Rourke (4f), J Maher 0-4 each, C Prendergast 1-0, P Guinan 0-2, S Moran (f), E Conroy, J O'Connor 0-1 each. Maynooth University: P Winters 0-8 (6f), D Burke, N Kenny 0-1 each.

UCD - D Holohan; P Hannon, S Murphy, E Conroy; C McGabhann, J Madden, C O'Shea; C O'Callaghan, S Moran; J Maher, J O'Connor, P Guinan; R King, O O'Rourke, C Prendergast.

SUBS - T O'Leary for Prendergast (39), H Lawlor for Conroy (43), C Keane for King (52), C Devitt for Moran (58).

MAYNOOTH UNIVERSITY - R Fitzgerald; C Breen, E McLoughlin, M Campion; D Hennessy, P Deegan, T Stafford; K Sheridan, R Donohoe; D Burke, P Winters, B Molloy; E Kenny, A Gleeson, N Kenny.

SUBS - D Sweeney for Molloy (18), M Ryan for Sweeney (h-t).

REF - A Kelly (Galway).

Fitzgibbon Cup results

GMIT 1-4 UUJ 0-4

Limerick IT 2-15 UCC 1-14

Mary Immaculate College 1-20; Dublin IT 0-5

NUI Galway 0-16 UL 0-15

IT Carlow 1-08 WIT 1-05

DCU 2-17 St-Pat’s-Mater Dei 1-20

UCD 1-13 Maynooth University 0-10

Quarter-final pairings

(To be played on Tuesday 16th February 2016)

Limerick IT v Waterford IT

IT Carlow v UCD

Mary I v GMIT

Cork IT v UL

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport