Wednesday 22 August 2018

Fitzgeralds inspire Ardclough triumph

Ardclough 1-15 Naas 1-12 - Kildare SHC Final

Ardclough players and supporters celebrate with The Tony Carew Cup after winning the Kildare SHC title. Photo: Sportsfile
Ardclough players and supporters celebrate with The Tony Carew Cup after winning the Kildare SHC title. Photo: Sportsfile Sportsdesk

Ardclough produced a stunning upset in Newbridge yesterday to win their first county title in 11 years.

Few outside the Ardclough camp gave them a chance against a Naas side who had beaten Ardclough three times already this year.

And last year's losing finalists couldn't have wished for a better start as Richie Ryan rattled the back of the Ardclough net after just two minutes.

The corner-forward added a point a minute later but with the Fitzgerald brothers, Paul and Martin, in fine form, Ardclough dug deep and came right back into the game.

Ryan's goal was the difference between the teams at half-time as Naas led 1-8 to 0-8.

After Paul Fitzgerald and Ryan swapped early scores, both teams were reduced to 14 men when Ardclough's Johnny Reeves and Naas' Kieran Maher were sent off for an off the ball incident.

Fitzgerald then levelled the game with a 39th-minute goal. He added a point a minute later to put Ardclough ahead for the first time and from there, they never looked back.

As well as the two Fitzgerald's Colm Buggy hit two important scores late on.

Naas did get back to within a point at one stage but Ardclough had another gear to move into.

A frustrating day for Naas saw them finish the game with 13 men following a red card shown to Jack Sheridan in injury-time.

Scorers - Ardclough: M Fitzgerald 0-7 (5fs), P Fitzgerald 1-4, C Buggy 0-3, T Spain 0-1. Naas: R Ryan 1-8 (0-7fs), R Bergin, E O'Hehir, M Purcell, J Sheridan (s-l) 0-1 each.

Ardclough - A Buggle; E Walsh, D Collins, R Spain; P Aylward, R Hoban, R Maguire; P Ryan, J Reeves; T Spain, M Fitzgerald, C Buggy; N Delahunt, L Hanley, P Fitzgerald. Subs: M Stapleton for Aylward (27), S Buggy for Stapleton (55), S Crowe for C Buggy (60).

Naas - C Gallagher; D McSweeney, R Bergin, P Sullivan; D McDonncha, S Walsh, S Gainey; E O'Hehir, M Nevin; S Ryan, M Purcell, S Lacey; K Maher, J Sheridan, R Ryan. Subs: B Byrne for McSweeney (33), J O'Malley for Bergin (41), K Aherne for Nevin (51), C Tobin for S Ryan (51), K Byrne for O'Hehir (59).

Ref - D Peppard

Driver puts brakes on Bray's four-in-a-row bid

Glenealy 2-12 Bray Emmets 0-11 - Wicklow SHC Final

Alan Driver bagged a brace of goals as Glenealy produced a barnstorming finish to halt Bray Emmets' quest for a four-in-a-row.

The new champions limited Bray to just two points in the final 20 minutes, during which time they scored 1-8 to ease to victory.

Bray started stronger, racing into a 0-5 to 0-2 lead by 11 minutes, with Padraig Doyle hitting over a couple of lovely scores from each sideline.

Driver's goal, against the run of play, brought Glenealy back into the match. Leighton Glynn added a point to put Glenealy in front but Bray finished the half in the ascendancy with a couple of points to lead by one at the break, 0-7 to 1-3.

They started the second half well also, frustrating Glenealy, and stretched their lead in the 41st minute when Christy Moorehouse broke clean through the Glenealy defence. He was fouled but pointed the free.

Bray looked firmly in control at that stage.

Driver pulled back a point and then Doyle fired wide after an inspirational catch, a real momentum changer.

Jonathan 'Bosco' O'Neill Snr, aged 42 and playing alongside his son Jonathan Jnr, hit three frees to put Glenealy ahead.

Enan Glynn hit another before Driver got his second goal, a mistake by Eoin Mason letting him flick the ball to the Bray net.

Bray looked deflated by this stage and while they went in search of a goal they never looked like they would get one.

Glenealy pulled away in the end to be crowned county champions for the first time since 2013, when they completed their own four-in-a-row.

Scorers - Glenealy: J O'Neill Snr 0-9 (8fs, 1 '65'), A Driver 2-1, E Glynn, L Glynn 0-1 each. Bray Emmets: C Moorehouse 0-6fs, P Doyle, M Lee 0-2 each, P Walsh 0-1

Glenealy - K Snell; E Byrne, W Kavanagh, L Kavanagh; G Byrne, D Staunton, T Doyle; J Manley, J O'Neill Snr; E Glynn, R Byrne, J Byrne; J O'Neill Jnr, L Glynn, Alan Driver. Subs: R O'Neill for R Byrne (53), J Manley for J O'Neill Jnr (58), G Weir for E Glynn (61)

Bray Emmets: E Mason; S Maloney, P Kiely, P Walsh; D Henderson, J Henderson, E Forde; D Masterson, L Maloney; C Moorehouse, P Doyle, M Lennon; P Cunningham, M Lee, D Maloney. Subs: B McCormack for D Maloney (HT), L Benville for P Cunningham (49), L Kenny for M Lennon (55).

Ref - C Fleming

Derrygonnelly complete title hat-trick in style

Derrygonnelly 0-15 Devenish 0-8 - Fermanagh SHC Final

A devastating scoring burst in the first half that saw them reel off five points in succession set the tone for Derrygonnelly's third Fermanagh title in a row against Devenish at Brewster Park yesterday.

Only two Devenish players scored over the hour with Chris O'Brien their only scorer from play while Derrygonnelly, in contrast, had nine men on the scoreboard.

The game was even in the opening 15 minutes with Devenish holding a point advantage thanks to four Terry O'Flanagan frees but Derrygonnelly took control with five points in a row through two points apiece from Paul Ward and Conal Jones and another from Gary McKenna. O'Brien stopped the rot with an excellent score from play but 42-year-old Kevin Cassidy replied to give the Harps a four-point cushion at the break.

The second half was more of the same with Declan Cassidy coming more into the game with two points from the half forward line.

Reliant on O'Flanagan frees Devenish could never put pressure on that Derrygonnelly lead with the Jones boys, Ryan and Garvan hitting two scores from midfield and Leigh Jones getting his second of the day to register the last score of the game to leave seven between the sides.

Second half substitute Denis Greene, who had replaced the black carded Eamon McHugh, was sent to the line for Derrygonnelly in injury time but not even this could put a damper on proceedings for the Harps who will play the Armagh champions at the same venue in four weeks time.

Scorers - Derrygonnelly: G McKenna 0-3 (2f), D Cassidy, P Ward (1f), C Jones (1f), L Jones 0-2 each, R Jones, K Cassidy, E McHugh (45'), G Jones 0-1 each. Devenish: T O'Flanagan 0-6 (6f), C O'Brien 0-2

Derrygonnelly: J Kelly; S McGullion, T Daly, M Jones, N Gallagher, E McHugh, G McGinley, R Jones, G Jones, L Jones, P Ward, D Cassidy, G McKenna, C Jones, K Cassidy. Subs: L Jones for Gallagher (46), S McGullion for McKenna (54), A Gallagher for K Cassidy (57), A Burke for L Jones (60), S Jones for D Cassidy (60)

Devenish: T Treacy, V O'Brien, S McAloon, C McGowan, R Doherty, A McGuinness, M Doherty, T O'Flanagan, J Love, J McNulty, M O'Brien, D Rasdale, G Gallagher, B Mulrone, C O'Brien. Subs: J J O'Brien for McAloon (HT), R Maguire for McNulty (HT), J O'Flanagan for Gallagher (41)

Ref: G McLaughlin (Ederney)

Durnin masterstroke clinches thriller

Kiltale 1-15 Kildalkey 1-14 - Meath SHC Final

After being substituted in the opening half Peter Durnin returned to haunt 14-man Kildalkey and hand Kiltale a four-in-a-row of Meath SHC titles at Páirc Tailteann on Saturday.

Durnin re-entered the fray in the closing stages and hit the winning point two minutes into added time to give his side a historic victory.

Captain Jack Regan had previously scored a point to put Kiltale ahead for the first time with two minutes of normal time remaining.

A goal from county minor star Evan Fitzgerald boosted Kildalkey to a 1-4 to 0-2 lead on 17 minutes. Fitzgerald produced a classic finish as he ran on to a long delivery from Padraig Keogh and lobbed advancing goalkeeper Shane McGann.

Kildalkey, who last won the title in 2011, enjoyed a 1-7 to 0-6 lead at half-time.

Two points in as many minutes from Jack Regan and James Kelly edged Kiltale closer before Kildalkey re-established their four-point advantage.

Kiltale then enjoyed a productive spell during which they hit four successive points, including two from Mark O'Sullivan, to be on level terms, 0-12 to 1-9, on 42 minutes.

Kildalkey received a further blow when the long-serving Mairtin Doran was sent off for a second yellow card following a tangle with Regan.

However, the challengers seemed unfazed by that dismissal as Conor Kearney (two) and Heavey hit points to send them three clear.

Kiltale's response was emphatic as Mark O'Sullivan fired to the net to regain parity. The sides then exchanged points twice before super-sub Durnin snatched victory.

Scorers - Kiltale: J Regan 0-6 (4f), M O'Sullivan 1-2, J Kelly 0-3, P Kelly 0-2, P Durnin, A Murphy 0-1 each. Kildalkey: C Kearney 0-6 (3f), Evan Fitzgerald 1-2, S Heavey 0-3 ( 2 sl), L Richard 0-2, P Conneely 0-1.

Kiltale - S McGann; A Donnelly, P Garvey, C Ennis; Ronan Ryan, S Donoghue, C Shirren; A Forde, P Kelly; J Kelly, C McCabe, M O'Sullivan; P Durnin, Ross Ryan, J Regan. Subs: A Murphy for Durnin (24), C O'Sullivan for Ross Ryan (38), E Ryan for McCabe (48), Durnin for Forde (55), I Hughes for Donnelly (59).

Kildalkey - P Fagan; P Geoghegan, Enda Fitzgerald, M Doran; B Kelly, P Keogh, D Harmon; P Potterton, M Keogh; L Richard, S Heavey, J McNally; Evan Fitzgerald, C Kearney, G Kelly. Subs: P Conneely for G Kelly (40), E Keogh for McNally (51), Mark Healy for M Keogh (54), Martin Healy for Fitzgerald (59).

Ref - F Smith (Kilcock).

Irish Independent

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport