Wednesday 25 April 2018

Dublin strike late goals to secure minor honours

Dublin 2-12 Wexford 0-12

Dublin celebrate winning the Leinster MHC final against Wexford in Croke Park. Photo: Sportsfile
Dublin celebrate winning the Leinster MHC final against Wexford in Croke Park. Photo: Sportsfile

Two goals in the final five minutes saw Dublin eke out a six-point success over Wexford in their disappointing Electric Ireland Leinster minor hurling final at Croke Park yesterday afternoon.

Having failed to score for the previous 12 minutes, Dublin belatedly provided a clinical edge to their play as both Johnny McGuirk and the impressive Donal Burke found the net late on to claim a first provincial title for the Dubs since 2012.

Wexford started in the ascendancy through early points from Jack Cullen and Rory O'Connor with a far-from-fluent Dublin managing to restore parity through a brace of placed balls by Colin Currie.

That margin could well have been extended in the sixth minute as O'Connor raced through unopposed on goal but Dara De Poire produced a superb sprawling save to deny the Wexford captain.

The contest remained similarly tight as Conal Flood and Currie traded points before Wexford regained their slender lead in the 17th minute thanks to a fine score from distance by midfielder Damien Reck.

Read More: Clifford inspires Kerry to fourth straight title

Dublin were gradually beginning to find their collective feet and they pushed two points clear as the impressive Burke struck three points from play in quick succession.

O'Connor replied with two points of his own but late points from McGuirk and Currie saw Dublin inch two points clear by the break.

The third quarter was not one to live long in the memory as both sides struggled in terms of shooting with Dublin pushing three points to the good following scores by Conor Burke and Currie.

Their ambitions looked in jeopardy as Wexford struck four points in succession through Flood, O'Connor and two from the increasingly influential Reck.

However, they struggled from that point onwards with McGuirk scrambling the ball home two minutes later before Burke fired to the net after a strong run from substitute Peter Feeney. with Wexford ending the game in disarray with O'Connor's late dismissal.


Scorers - Dublin: D Burke 1-3, C Currie 0-5 (2f, 2 '65'), J McGuirk 1-1, C Burke, C Dowling, J Walsh 0-1 each. Wexford: R O'Connor 0-5 (2f), D Reck 0-3 (1f, 1 '65'), C Flood 0-2, J Cullen, G Molloy 0-1 each.

Dublin - D De Poire; J O'Neill, P Smyth, D Ryan; J McVeigh, C O'Sullivan, E Foley; C Ryan, D Gray; C Burke, J McGuirk, D Burke; C Currie, C Dowling, M O'Keeffe. Subs: R Hayes for O'Keeffe (35), D Hawkshaw for McVeigh (40), J Walsh for Gray (41), D Keogh for C Ryan (50), P Feeney for Currie (56).

Wexford - J Henebry; C Murphy, D Byrne, E Molloy; G Molloy, C Firman, J Cullen; D Reck, B O'Connor; L Stafford, C Flood, A Walsh; R O'Connor, C Hearne, Q Saunders. Subs: E Kelly for B O'Connor (44), M Codd for Walsh (50), L Pender for Saunders (59).

Ref - P Burke (Kilkenny)

Irish Independent

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport