Saturday 25 November 2017

Dominant Deise keep Cork at arm's length

Waterford 0-20 Cork 1-14

Cork's Patrick Horgan scores his side's goal Photo: Brendan Moran / SPORTSFILE
Cork's Patrick Horgan scores his side's goal Photo: Brendan Moran / SPORTSFILE
Waterford's Jake Dillon battles for control of the sliotar with Cork's Damien Cahalane Photo: Eóin Noonan / SPORTSFILE
Cork's Lorcan McLoughlin catches the sliotar ahead of Michael Walsh of Waterford Photo: Brendan Moran / SPORTSFILE
Waterford's Colin Dunford in action against Cork's Daniel Kearney Photo: Brendan Moran / SPORTSFILE

Denis Hurley

For long periods, Waterford's second win of their Allianz Hurling League Division 1A campaign rarely looked in doubt last night.

Derek McGrath's side picked up where they left off in last week's victory over Kilkenny, leading by 0-11 to 0-7 at half-time without ever extending themselves and then pushing on in the second half, only for Cork to draw to within three points at the death. The hosts were unable to find an equalising goal, however.

A solid defensive effort provided the platform for the Déise's 10th successive league win, with Austin Gleeson and Darragh Fives outstanding in the half-back line. Up front, Maurice Shanahan kept things ticking over from frees and a rotating cast contributed at various times.

They had long-range points from Fives and Moran as they built up at 0-5 to 0-2 lead early on, though points from Daniel Kearney and Brian Lawton suggested that Cork might make a game of it.

Instead, Waterford went into overdrive, as points from Jamie Baron, a free and a 65 from Shanahan and scores by Patrick Curran and Jake Dillon put them 0-10 to 0-5 in front just before the half-hour mark.

Two Horgan frees brought Cork back slightly, but with a four-point interval deficit they needed something on the resumption. Instead, Waterford scored five of the first six points after the restart as they threatened to really pull clear. Curran got the run going with a free while the hard-working Colin Dunford got in on the act and Gleeson nailed his second before Shane Bennett and Barron - from a super Gleeson pass - made it double scores, 0-16 to 0-8, by the 47th minute.

It appeared that the game was set to meander to an inevitable conclusion but Cork managed to summon something of a response.

Brian Lawton got his second before Aidan Walsh, who later went off with a broken nose which will keep him out for a number of weeks, sent a sideline cut straight over and sub Alan Cadogan was also on target. When Conor Lehane scored two in the space of a minute, they only trailed by five, 0-19 to 0-14.

Gleeson's third, a free from distance, steadied Waterford but not before Shanahan was red-carded by referee James Owens for an off-the-ball incident. The numerical disparity lasted for barely a minute, however, as Cadogan followed him, dismissed for a similar incident at the other end.

In the 73rd minute, Horgan goaled from a free to make it a one-score game; however that was the way it remained.

Scorers - Waterford: M Shanahan 0-5 (4f, 1 65), P Curran 0-4 (1f), A Gleeson 0-3 (1f), C Dunford, J Barron 0-2 each, K Moran, S Bennett, D Fives, J Dillon 0-1 each. Cork: P Horgan 1-6 (1-4f), C Lehane 0-3, B Lawton 0-2, A Walsh (sl), D Kearney, A Cadogan 0-1 each

WATERFORD: S O'Keeffe; S Fives, N Connors, B Coughlan; P Mahony, D Fives, K Moran; A Gleeson, J Barron; M Walsh, P Curran, J Dillon; C Dunford, S Bennett, M Shanahan. Subs: B O'Halloran for Bennett (59), T Devine for Curran (62), M Kearney for Dunford (70)

CORK: A Nash; C Spillane, S McDonnell S O'Neill; D Cahalane, C Joyce, W Egan; D Kearney, A Walsh; B Cooper, P Horgan, L McLoughlin; B Lawton, W Leahy, C Lehane

Subs: A Cadogan for Leahy, S Moylan for Kearney (both half-time), M Ellis for Egan (45), C Murphy for Spillane (48), C McCarthy for Walsh (58, blood), P O'Sullivan for McLoughlin (65)

Referee: J Owens (Wexford)

Sunday Indo Sport

Promoted Links

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport