Saturday 24 February 2018

Bobby Duggan and Ian Galvin send Banner into a fourth consecutive Munster final

Clare 0-23 Waterford 1-18 Munster U-21 HC semi-final

A determined Bobby Duggan, Clare, manages a clean strike, despite Austin Gleeson's best efforts
A determined Bobby Duggan, Clare, manages a clean strike, despite Austin Gleeson's best efforts
Conor Cleary, Clare, forces past Tom Devine, Waterford
Waterford's Conor Gleeson reacts after defeat to Clare
Colin Dunford, Waterford, is fouled by Clare's Eoin Quirke during the final moments of the game

Declan Rooney

Ian Galvin and Bobby Duggan hit a combined 19 points as Clare turned on the style to reach a fourth provincial final in a row at this grade.

Austin Gleeson could have forced extra-time at the death, but his 20-metre free was blocked by the Clare defence to clinch a place in final against the winners of tonight’s semi-final between Limerick and Tipperary.

Clare’s victory rarely looked in doubt once Duggan levelled the scores immediately after half-time.

Despite Clare’s pedigree, the Deise started brighter. A purple patch sent them three points clear by the end of the first quarter. Three of those scores came from Patrick Curran frees, while Gleeson – playing at centre-forward – weighed in with two from play.

But Duggan, one of five senior panellists in the Banner line-up, was in inspired form, hitting Clare’s first five points to keep them in touch.

Waterford focused a lot of attention on Shane O’Donnell and the 2013 All-Ireland final hero hardly had a sniff before the break.


The closest he came to a score arrived in the 18th minute when Davy Conroy’s effort rattled the bar but Tadhg De Burca crowded him out when he gathered the rebound.

Ian Galvin – younger brother of Clare senior Colm – Ryan Taylor and Shane Gleeson all pointed to cut Waterford’s half-time lead to 0-11 to 0-10.

Duggan equalised on the resumption, before a great move featuring Eoin Quirke and Kevin Hehir sent Galvin on his way for the lead score, and wing-back Aidan McGuane made it 0-13 to 0-11 a minute later.

Waterford weren’t helping themselves with three poor wides to start the half, but Austin Gleeson settled them with a long range free after 38 minutes.

Clare responded with three points in a row, but the Deise refused to lire down, and in the 43rd minute Patrick Curran followed Colin Dunford’s point with a goal to put them back in front once again.

But three on the bounce from the Banner – two of them from Galvin – saw them into the final.

Scorers – Clare: B Duggan 0-13 (7f), I Galvin 0-6, S Gleeson, R Taylor, E Quirke, A McGuane 0-1. Waterford: P Curran 1-7 (5f), A Gleeson 0-5 (1f, 1’65), Shane Bennett 0-2 (1’65), DJ Foran, M Kearney, C Dunford, C Curran 0-1.

Clare – K Hogan; S O’Brien, D Fitzgerald, E Quirke; A McGuane, C Cleary (c), B O’Gorman; D Conroy, K Hehir; B Duggan, S Gleeson, I Galvin; R Taylor, S O’Donnell, S Ward. Subs: S Taylor for Gleeson (38), N Deasy for Hehir (58).

Waterford – J Henley; C Gleeson, K Bennett, S McNulty; M Harney, T De Burca, T Devine; C Dunford, R Donnelly; Shane Bennett A Gleeson, Stephen Bennett; M Kearney, DJ Foran, P Curran. Subs: D Lyons for Harney (h-t), C Curran for Donnelly (40), S Keating for Foran (46).

Ref – J Murphy (Limerick).

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport