| 18.4°C Dublin

Barry-Murphy hails 'workout' after McCarthy brace sinks CIT





Cork finished well to see off hosts Cork IT in the quarter-finals on Saturday.

A total of 2-4 without reply from the 64th minute was enough for the Munster champions, though manager Jimmy Barry-Murphy wasn't taking too much significance from the match.

"It's a pre-season tournament," he said. "It's nothing other than that, really. It was a good workout for the lads. We're just pleased with how they are going forward."

An early goal from Stephen Moylan helped Cork to a 1-5 to 0-3 lead, but CIT came back in impressive fashion.

Kevin Kavanagh's green flag was central to their revival and points from Daire Lordan and William Murphy put them 1-7 to 1-6 in front as half-time approached.

Darren McCarthy netted to put Cork ahead again and pulled clear with points from Dayne Lee, Paudie O'Sullivan and Paul Haughney.

Once more CIT responded, and a flurry of points had them back in contention, with John Cronin leaving just a point in it, 2-11 to 1-13, with six minutes left.

Cork sub Daniel Kearney popped up with a goal, though, and then McCarthy got his second to provide breathing space.

Further points from Pa Cronin and Moylan ensured their win. wwwwwinvictorpassage.


Scorers - Cork: D McCarthy 2-2, P O'Sullivan 0-5 (3fs), S Moylan 1-2, D Kearney 1-0, D Lee, P Haughney 0-2 each, P Cronin, S Harnedy 0-1 each. Cork IT: D Lordan 0-4 (3fs), K Kavanagh 1-0, J O'Dwyer, S O'Mahony, C Hammersley 0-2 each, W Murphy, J Cronin, B Cooper 0-1 each

CORK - P Collins; W Kearney, C Joyce, C O'Sullivan; B O'Sullivan, L McLoughlin, G O'Connor; B Murray, P Haughney; A Frahill-O'Connor, A Walsh, D Lee; S Moylan, P O'Sullivan, D McCarthy. Subs: P Kelleher for Frahill-O'Connor (half-time), B Lawton for Murray (41), D Kearney for Haughney (47, injured), P Cronin for Lee (58, injured), S Harnedy for Walsh (63).

CORK IT - G Minihane; S Murphy, A Dennehy, T Lawrence; J Herlihy, M Russell, C Buckley; A Walsh, W Murphy; D Lordan, B Cooper, J Cronin; J O'Dwyer (Tipperary), K Kavanagh, C Hammersley (Tipperary). Subs: S O'Mahony for Murphy (57, injured), N McNamara for Walsh (66, injured), P White for Lordan (65).

Ref - J McCormack (Tipperary).

Hartnett on mark to seal semi-final spot for UCC

UCC 2-23 Kerry 2-14

Despite a few shaky moments, UCC were always in control as they saw off the challenge of a dogged Kerry side in this Waterford Crystal Cup quarter-final at Austin Stack Park on Saturday.

Kerry, with just a few training sessions under the belt and without their five Ardfert players, were never going to cause an upset.

Boss Eamon Kelly will be happy, though, with the debut of Clare import Patrick Kelly, who looked a good addition to the squad and the Kingdom displayed great spirit and honest endeavour to lead 0-6 to 0-3 after 25 minutes.

Then in the 25th minute, a pivotal moment, Shane Nolan's well-struck penalty was saved by a diving David O'Gorman to deny Kerry.

This appeared to act as a wake-up call to the students as they fired over 0-9 without reply in as many minutes, with Alan Cadogan, Rob O'Shea and Barry Lawton doing most of the damage as UCC led 0-12 to 0-6 at half-time.

Sub Eoghan Finn extended the lead on the resumption, but the introduction of Colm Harty added pace to the Kerry attack and two quick goals, from Podge Boyle and Adrian Royle, and a Nolan free had the sides tied at 0-13 to 2-7.

However, class won out as UCC upped the tempo and a succession of points and goals from Shane O'Keeffe and Brian Hartnett sealed victory. UCC will now face Limerick in the semis.

Scorers - UCC: A Cadogan 0-6, B Lawton 0-6 (3fs), R O'Shea 0-4 ( 2 f), E Finn 0-4, S O'Keeffe, B Hartnett 1-0 each, K Burke 0-2, M Breen 0-1. Kerry: S Nolan 0-8 (6fs), A Royle 1-1, P Boyle 1-0, M O Leary 0-3, C Harty 0-2.

UCC - D O'Gorman, D Lestor, D Glynn, M Breen, K Burke, P Prendergast, S Roche, D Roche, R O'Shea, B Lawton, B Hartnett, M Collins, T Devine, D J Foran, A Cadogan. Subs: E Finn for M Collins (28), S O'Keeffe for S Roche (56, D Geary for DJ Foran (60), R Cahalane for R O Shea (67), M O'Brien for B Hartnett (67).

Kerry - S Murphy , D Fitzell, A Fealy, B Murphy, P Costelloe, P Kelly ( Clare) , S Weir, J Griffin, T Casey, B O'Leary, M Boyle, A Royle, S Nolan, Ml O'Leary, P Boyle. Subs: C Harty for T Casey (h/t), K Carmody for B O'Leary (47), P McGrath for M Boyle (54), P Lucid for P Kelly (58), T Casey for J Griffin (66).

Ref - J Mullins (Limerick).

Oliver spearheads North surge

Dublin North 0-20 Antrim schools 2-7


A STUNNING second half display saw Dublin North surge clear of Antrim Schools to progress at the DCU Sportsground.

Colin Currie twice fired North into the lead, but Christy McNaughton's 12th-minute goal stretched Antrim's lead to four points.

Currie, Matthew Oliver and Donal Burke moved North back into contention, but a 1-2 salvo from McNaughton signalled Antrim's intent.

Points from Currie and Oliver saw North end the half well, and more by Oliver (0-2), Gavin King and Paul Kelly restored parity on 40 minutes.

The hosts kept the scoreboard ticking, before the reliable McNaughton finally ended this scoring sequence with a majestic 56th minute point.

This only offered temporary respite, however, and points for Kelly, Burke and King set up a crunch showdown with rivals Dublin South.

Scorers - Dublin North: M Oliver 0-7 (2f), D Burke (2f), C Currie (2 '65', 1f) 0-4 each, G King, P Kelly 0-2 each, C Sammon 0-1. Antrim Schools: C McNaughton 2-3 (0-1 '65', 0-1f), C McClafferty (f), G Walsh, S Duffin, R Delargy 0-1 each.

DUBLIN NORTH - E Skelly; S Hickey, D Grey, C Ryan; O Lanigan, G King, P Buggy; S MacGearailt, C Sammon; D Burke, M Oliver, S McCaw; P Kelly, C Currie, W Moloney. Subs: C Hendricken for MacGearailt (h-t), L Finnegan for Currie (35), M Hayes for McCaw (61).

ANTRIM SCHOOLS- C Butler; M Devine, S McBride, C Carson; F McCambridge, C McMullen, J Maskey; G Walsh, D Murphy; J McNaughton, C McClafferty, S Duffin; C Leech, C McNaughton, R Delargy. Subs: D McLoughlin for Leech (47), C Patterson for McCambridge (52), M Mullin for Devine (65).

Ref - A Lagrue (Kildare).

Hotshot Fox the difference for South

Dublin South 1-17 Laois schools 1-14


Dublin South withstood a late rally from Laois Schools to win the Leinster Colleges SHC 'A' clash in Heywood on Saturday.

Alex Considine and Tom Fox gave South an early lead, with Laois keeping in touch with frees. Midway through the first half, Dublin South took control.

Chris Bennett and Considine kept the umpires busy, and with Tom Fox on free-taking duty, they had a 0-12 to 0-7 lead by half-time.

Laois Schools made a triple substitution to get back into the game, but it was Dublin South who had the better start to the second half. Fox and Colm Hayes pointed either side of a brace by Laois sub Mark Kavanagh, before a long-range free from Fox struck the crossbar and fell kindly for Justin Byrne, who tapped to the net.

Laois responded well with three points, but Dublin South hit back with two of their own. In the closing stages, Laois threw everything at the game, but by that stage it was too late.

Scorers - Dublin South: T Fox 0-7 (6fs), A Considine, C Bennett 0-3 each, J Byrne 1-0, C Hayes 0-2, M McGuire, C Dowling 0-1 each. Laois Schools: M Kavanagh 1-5 (0-3fs), D Conroy 0-5 (4fs, 1 '65'), S Downey 0-2, R Phelan, R McEvoy 0-1 each.

DUBLIN SOUTH - D O'Neill; L Mulrooney, G Kenny, J O'Neill; R Leddy, C Brady, D Ryan; A Mellett, T Fox; C Hayes, A Considine, C Bennett; J Byrne, M McGuire, C Dowling. Reps: P Rigney for Dowling (ht), R Doyle for Byrne (55).

LAOIS SCHOOLS - S Kelly; L Cleere, F Flanagan, D Cahill; J Cranny, J Creagh, E Peters; S Downey, P Williams; R Phelan, C Phelan, E Lyons; R McEvoy, S Phelan, D Conroy. Reps: M Kavanagh for Williams (h-t), E Nealon for Peters (h-t), D Foyle for Creagh (h-t), R Bergin for McEvoy (50), C Hiney for R Phelan (50).

Ref - P Kehoe (Carlow).


Indo Sport