Banner 'finding their feet' as Cork tie gets green light
Clare are "trying to find their feet" under new joint-managers Donal Moloney and Gerry O'Connor, with star forward John Conlon admitting it will take time to adapt to their more direct style of play.
Conlon, a key member of the 2013 All-Ireland-winning side, said it had been a positive start under the duo, but after playing a predominantly short-passing, possession-based game under former boss Davy Fitzgerald, the radical change poses some challenges.
"Even in training that's just the main thing, we're trying to get a bit more direct. We have ball winners there, maybe it was just we were playing one style before and now we're trying to go down another avenue," Conlon said.
"Maybe we're overplaying it at times. . . we're still trying to play our passing style at times, trying to utilise the ball well and it's all about trying to get the ball over the bar in the end and getting it into the danger zone."
The 27-year-old Clonlara forward acknowledges that Clare's personnel is "quite low" due to a combination of injuries and the Ballyea contingent being away on club duty but their threat to not fulfil tomorrow night's Munster SHL tie looks to have fallen on deaf ears.
In the wake of their three-point win over Waterford on Sunday, Moloney and O'Connor indicated that with 13 of their squad playing Fitzgibbon Cup they would not "torture" their players, playing three games in four days, by fulfilling the fixture against Cork in Sixmilebrige.
But the Munster Council moved quickly and yesterday confirmed that the tie will go ahead as scheduled.