Tuesday 21 November 2017

Tyrone get campaign off the ground

Tyrone 3-9 Cork 0-16

Tyrone finally collected their first league points of the campaign, last night's Healy Park win over Cork kick-starting what will be a desperate battle to avoid relegation.

Goals from Tommy McGuigan, Colm Cavanagh and Ryan Mellon sealed the win for the Red Hands in a thrilling encounter, and in an additional boost, Sean Cavanagh made his first appearance in seven months as a second half substitute.

Tyrone dominated the opening quarter, but had a mere two points lead to show for it, with Owen Mulligan hitting a couple of gems.

But once Alan O'Connor and Pearse O'Neill started to dominated the midfield area, the Rebels were in full flight.

Aided by some poor defending, Cork shot six points in as many minutes to go five points clear.

Paul Kerrigan, Daniel Goulding and Colm O'Neill were all on target as they raced into a 0-9 to 0-4 lead.

The home side had gone 22 minutes without a score, but made a dazzling finish to the half with a two-goal burst.

Colm Cavanagh superbly lobbed goalkeeper Ken O'Halloran, and moments later, Tommy McGuigan poked home a second goal from close range after Mulligan's shot had been saved by O'Halloran.

In the space of three remarkable minutes, Tyrone had turned a five-point deficit into a two-point advantage, and led by 2-5 to 0-9 at half time.

Another Cork blitz saw them go back in front within five minutes of the restart, Colm O'Neill clipping the top of the crossbar with another sizzling effort.

Colm O'Neill, Kerrigan and Goulding were also on target as Tyrone were forced back on the defensive.

The introduction of Sean Cavanagh on 41 minutes for his first appearance in seven months raised the spirits of Tyrone supporters among the 5,000-strong crowd, and signalled the start of another revival.

Mulligan's third point brought the Ulster men level at the beginning of the final quarter, and they struck for a third goal 10 minutes from the end. Aidan Cassidy's shot was saved by O'Halloran, and sub Ryan Mellon slotted the rebound home.

Scorers -- Tyrone: T McGuigan 1-1, C Cavanagh, R Mellon 1-0 each. O Mulligan 0-3, M Penrose 0-2 (2f), D Harte, C Gormely 0-1, S O'Neill 0-1 each. Cork: C O'Neill 0-5 (3f), D Goulding, P Kerrigan 0-3 each, P O'Neill 0-2, P Kissanem D O'Connor, J Hayes 0-1 each.

Tyrone: J Curran; M Swift, J McMahon, C McCarron; D Harte, C Gormley, R McMenamin; A Cassidy, C Cavanagh; M Donnelly, E McCusker, R Mulgrew; T McGuigan, M Penrose, O Mulligan. Subs: S O'Neill for Gormley (38), S Cavanagh for Donnelly (41), C McCullagh for Mulgrew (50), R Mellon for McCusker (50)

Cork: K O'Halloran; R Carey, M Shields, E Cotter; P Kissane, B O'Regan, N O'Leary; A O'Connor, P O'Neill; P Kerrigan, D O'Connor, P Kelly; D Goulding, P O'Flynn , C O'Neill. Subs: J Hayes for C O'Neill (55), C O'Droscoll for O'Regan (65)

Referee: D Coldrick (Meath).

Derry 1-12

Mayo 2-12

DESPITE a last-minute goal by Paddy Bradley. Derry suffered only their second only league defeat in Celtic Park, the superb Allan Dillon and Trevor Mortimer running riot for a very confident Mayo side.

Indeed, Dillon made his comeback after six months out with injury and he was the key player in the first half.

He got the Connacht side on the scoreboard with a pointed free in the first minute and then added two more before the break.

After Derry had pulled back a three-point Mayo lead to tie the score at three each, with Lee Moore landing two frees, there was little between the sides until

Mayo got a decisive break in the 31st minute.

A long ball from the irrepressible Dillon broke to Andy Moran in the goalmouth and he despatched the ball to the net to give Mayo a 1-7 to 0-5 interval lead.

Ten minutes into the second half Aiden O'Shea was on the end of another Dillon cross and he assisted the ball to the net to open up a 2-8 to 0-8 lead.

Derry did battle gamely in the final quarter but not even a late Paddy Bradley goal prevented Mayo from emerging three-point winners.

Scorers -- Derry: P Bradley 1-4 (2 frees); O Bradley, L Muir, C Kielt 0-2; M Lynch, G O'Kane 0-1 each. Mayo: A Moran 1-1; E Varley, A Dilon 0-3 each; T Mortimer 0-2; S O'Shea, A O'Shea, C Barrett 0-1 each.



DOWN 0-13

Thanks to a great second- half display Down stay on top of Division 2, inflicting a second defeat in a row on Donegal

Donegal had a bright opening with Michael Murphy pointing on six minutes but scores were at a premium as Down were off target early on.

Donegal led 0-3 to 0-1 on 17 minutes but then Down found their boots with points from Brendan Coulter, Daniel Hughes and Ambrose Rodgers to surge into the lead.

But Donegal had their best period in the final minutes of the half with points from Colm McFadden and a great effort from Michael Maguire to go in at the break one up, 0-5 to 0-4.

With Benny Coulter getting to the pitch of the game Down were back in front by the 46th minute and a scoring burst from the Clarkes and Coulter had the Mourne men four clear by the 54th minute. Gareth Concarr was denied by Declan Alder in the Down goals while McFadden and Anthony Thompson kept Donegal in touch.

Then McFadden really stepped up to level matters either side of a great goal chance by Benny Coulter, who was denied by Paul Durcan.

Then John Clarke edged Down ahead as the game entered added time and Peter Fitzpatrick added another to seal victory.

Scorers -- Donegal: M Murphy 0-3 (2f), C McFadden 0-4 (1f), N Gallagher, A Thompson, B Monaghan, M Maguire 0-1 each. Down: B Coulter 0-3, M Clarke 0-3 (2f) J Clarke 0-2, K McKernan, A Rodgers, D Hughes, P McComiskey, P Fitzpatrick 0-1 each.


Cavan 0-17

Wexford 0-12

A storming last ten minutes proved just the ticket for Cavan as they eased their NFL Div. Three relegation worries at Breffni Park.

The novel midfield partnership of Lorcan Mulvey and David Givney helped work the oracle in the first half as the hosts led by 0-8 to 0-6.

Cavan's sharpness was manifest in their 16 points from play but rash tackling at the back was invariably punished by Shane Roche.

Wexford suffered a cruel blow when trailing by 0-7 to 0-11 with half back Brian Malone receiving a second yellow card in the 66th minute.

Roche's markmanship proved a lifeline for Wexford and his 62nd minute free cut Cavan's lead to just a single point, 0-13 to 0-12.

But two points each thereafter by subs. Martin Reilly and Ray Cullivan served to finally guillotine the visitor's slim hopes of victory.

Scorers -- Cavan: C Mackey 0-5, R Flanagan, D Givney 0-3 each, R Cullivan, M Reilly 0-2 each, G Smith (1 '45), M McKeever 0-1. Wexford: S Roche 0-9 (8f), P Naughter 0-2, E Bradley 0-1.


Limerick 1-11

Waterford 1-12

A late point by Wayne Hennessy ended Limerick's unbeaten run in division 4 and enabled the visitors to retain their unbeaten form.

Scorers -- Waterford: R Ahern 1-1, W Hennessy 0-4 (2f), M Donnelly 0-3, L O'Loinsigh 0-2, M Ahern, B Wall, 0-1 each. Limerick: G Collins 0-5 (4f), S Buckley 1-1, J O'Donovan 0-3, P Ranahan, J Ryan 0-1 each.

Sunday Independent

Promoted Links

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport