Sligo are not afraid of Galway -- Harrison
CHARLIE Harrison has described Sligo as "the best prepared we've been under Kevin Walsh" as they prepare for Saturday evening's Connacht semi-final against Galway.
The 2010 All Star corner-back believes that Sligo's indifferent championship form last year (they lost to Leitrim and Wicklow) was caused by a hangover from the previous season when Roscommon beat them by a point in the Connacht final, followed by a heavy qualifier defeat by Down.
"We'd expect to be much closer this time to the form which took us to the 2010 Connacht final. A huge amount of work has gone into the training and I'd feel this is the best prepared we've been under Kevin," said Harrison.
Walsh, an All-Ireland winner with Galway in 1998 and 2001, took the Sligo squad to Pearse Stadium for a work-out last Monday, hoping no doubt to re-unite them with the pleasant memories from the 2010 Connacht semi-final at Salthill when they opened a nine-point lead in the first half before being pulled back to equality in the second half.
Sligo completed the task in the replay, winning by a point. Coming just three years after they beat Galway in the Connacht final, it helped re-balance a rivalry which has been dominated by the Tribesmen.
"We'd never be short of confidence against Galway. We believe in ourselves against anyone nowadays," said Harrison.
However, he was very impressed by Galway's demolition of Roscommon in the Connacht quarter-final, a wipe-out that few had anticipated.
"I thought it was very much a 50-50 game but Galway really turned on the style. You'd have to be taken by the way they used the long, diagonal ball into the full-forward line," said Harrison.
"We know how tough it's going to be to win in Galway but it can be done."