Sunday 17 December 2017

Rebels crush Treaty to get back on track

Cork 2-12 Limerick 0-10

Ian Ryan of Limerick in action against Eoin Cadogan of Cork. Photo: Sportsfile
Ian Ryan of Limerick in action against Eoin Cadogan of Cork. Photo: Sportsfile
Limerick manager John Brudair reacts during the match. Photo: Sportsfile
Sean McSweeney of Limerick in action against Tomas Clancy of Cork during match. Photo: Sportsfile Newsdesk Newsdesk

Cork bounced back from their shock Munster semi-final defeat to Tipperary with a comfortable victory in round 2B of the football qualifiers yesterday.

Skipper Paul Kerrigan scored 1-3 and Mark Collins got five points from play to emphasise the gulf between these Munster rivals. Peter Kelleher, making his first championship start, scored a 14th-minute goal, knocking the ball home from close range after his initial effort was blocked. Cork also missed a fifth-minute penalty when Colm O'Neill was denied by Limerick goalkeeper Donal O'Sullivan; Kelleher palmed an effort off the crossbar and Kerrigan blazed wide soon after.

Collins had a couple of early points on the board as Cork moved into a 0-3 to 0-1 lead, before Limerick opened their account with a fine Darragh Treacy point from distance in the 10th minute. But Limerick wouldn't score again for 17 minutes, Seán McSweeney on target with a free, and Cork led by 1-5 to 0-2.

Treacy put over another long-range special to bring Limerick within five points before Kerrigan and Ian Ryan (free) traded points approaching the interval. Cork, with midfielder Alan O'Connor excellent on his first championship appearance since the Kildare defeat last year, pushed on after half-time and cruised to a routine win.

Read More: Strong Lilywhites finish flattens Offaly resistance

Collins almost netted five minutes into the second half when his deceptive effort came back off the crossbar and Kelleher was denied a second goal by a fine point-blank save from O'Sullivan.

Cork had the lead out to eight points on a couple of occasions but Limerick, with Iain Corbett coming off the bench to kick a couple of points, did get back to within six. Kerrigan's goal in the first minute of stoppage-time added some gloss to the final scoreline but it was far from vintage stuff from the Leesiders.

Peadar Healy will be pleased to have the Tipp defeat out of his system but he'll realise that Cork still have plenty to work on. Better opposition would have troubled Cork in Thurles but O'Connor and young sidekick Ian Maguire ruled the roost around the middle of the field and this provided the platform for victory, with Kerrigan and Collins constant threats up front.

Scorers - Cork: P Kerrigan 1-3, M Collins 0-5, P Kelleher 1-0, C O'Neill (f), L Connolly (f), J O'Rourke, M Hurley 0-1 each. Limerick: I Ryan 0-4 (3f), D Treacy, I Corbett 0-2 each, S McSweeney (f), S Buckley 0-1 each.

Cork: R Price; C O'Driscoll, E Cadogan, N Galvin; T Clancy, J Loughrey, B O'Driscoll; A O'Connor, I Maguire; P Kerrigan, M Collins, K O'Driscoll; C O'Neill, P Kelleher, L Connolly. Subs: S Powter for B O'Driscoll (ht), D Goulding for O'Neill (46), J O'Rourke for Connolly (49), R Deane for O'Connor (60), M Hurley for K O'Driscoll (65), P Kelly for Kelleher (68).

Limerick: D O'Sullivan; P Browne, S Cahill, J McCarthy; P Ranahan, S O'Dea, B Fanning; S Buckley, D Treacy; G Noonan, P Nash, T Childs; H Bourke, I Ryan, S McSweeney. Subs: I Corbett for Childs (27), E Hogan for McSweeney (47), P White for Ranahan (52), P Scanlan for Bourke (55), J Naughton for Nash (63), K Ryan for O'Dea (69).

Referee: N Mooney (Cavan).

Sunday Indo Sport

Promoted Links

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport