Sunday 18 February 2018

Rampant Rebels are far too strong

Cork 3-19 Waterford 1-5 McGrath Cup

Brian Hurley (SPORTSFILE)
Brian Hurley (SPORTSFILE)

Denis Hurley

Cork booked their place in the McGrath Cup final as they easily saw off Waterford at Mallow last night.

Having already beaten Limerick in their other Group B tie, Cork's progression to the final against Clare was always a strong probability.

Waterford were the holders, having eliminated Cork on their way to victory a year ago, but a repeat never looked like materialising.

The Rebels ensured that there would be no hiccups as early goals put them firmly in control.

The first two scores of the game were goals for the hosts, with Andrew O'Sullivan punching in from James Loughrey's handpass in the eighth minute before Peter Kelleher doubled the advantage on 11 as he diverted Daniel Goulding's delivery home.

Two Ruairi Deane points followed and, while Paul Whyte and Shaun Corcoran got Waterford off the mark, Kelleher grabbed Cork's third goal on 24 minutes, after linking well with Luke Connolly.

By half-time, the scoreline was 3-10 to 0-4 for Cork, with captain Daniel Goulding, Mark Collins, Connolly and Barty Daly all having got in on the scoring act.

The scoring rate slowed down considerably in the second period, with a raft of changes - including five by Waterford - affecting the flow of the game.

Cork continued to take their points, though Waterford did gain some consolation as Corcoran netted for them in the 53rd minute.

Apart from a Whyte point, it was their only second-half score, though. Goulding finished with six points for Cork while Brian Hurley (left) got four and subs Seamus Hickey, Brian Coughlan and Jamie Davis also registered.

The visitors finished with 13 men, however, having used all their subs by the time Maurice O'Gorman was black-carded and Tommy Prendergast had to depart injured.

Scorers - Cork: P Kelleher 2-0, D Goulding 0-6 (1f), B Hurley 0-4 (3f), A O'Sullivan 1-0, Mark Collins (Castlehaven), R Deane 0-2 each, B Daly, L Connolly, S Hickey, B Coughlan, J Davis 0-1 each. Waterford: S Corcoran 1-1 (1f), P Whyte 0-3 (1 '45), M O'Halloran 0-1.

CORK - B O'Connell; K Histon, J O'Sullivan, C O'Driscoll; T Clancy, J Loughrey, B Daly; I Maguire, A O'Sullivan; Mark Collins (Castlehaven), L Connolly, R Deane; D Goulding, P Kelleher, B Hurley. Subs: J Davis for Histon, B Coughlan for Connolly (both h-t), S Hickey for Maguire (48), K O'Hanlon for Deane (53), L Harrington for Loughrey (57), Mark Collins (O'Donovan Rossa) for O'Driscoll (62).

WATERFORD - S Barron; T Ó hUallacháin, T O'Gorman, B Looby; M Curry, J McGrath, R Ó Ceallaigh; C Prunty, T Prendergast; M O'Halloran, D Breathnach, D Allen; D Power, P Whyte, S Corcoran. Subs: D Whitty for Barron, G Crotty for Power, JJ Hutchinson for Allen, L Lawlor for Breathnach, M O'Gorman for Ó Ceallaigh (all half-time), L Ó Curráin for Lawlor (40, inj).

Ref - S Lonergan (Tipperary)

Indo Sport

Promoted Links

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport