Saturday 24 August 2019

Quinn ignites late rally as Killoe see off O'Mahonys

Emmet Og 0-11 O'Mahonys 1-6

Niall McKeigue, Navan OMahonys, tussles with Emmet Og's Simon Kieran
Niall McKeigue, Navan OMahonys, tussles with Emmet Og's Simon Kieran
Emmet Og's Daniel Keogh battles Brian Dillon for the ball, mid-air

Jonathan O'Meara

Emmet Og Killoe extended their Leinster club championship campaign with a two-point victory over Navan O'Mahonys at Glennon Brothers Pearse Park.

The Longford club champions have been keen to stamp their mark in the provincial series over the last numbers of years and this victory ensures them another step closer to an elusive final appearance which would not only would be a first for them but remarkably a first for any Longford club.

Emmet Og got off to a positive start in the opening exchanges with the help of excellent dead ball shooting from Denis McGoldrick. O'Mahonys struggled to find any real momentum, particularly during the early stages in the middle of the park where they were outmuscled by the Emmet Og partnership of Joe McCormack and Paddy Thompson.

The visitors however turned their fortunes around midway through when they grabbed the lead with a fantastic goal from their talisman Ruairi O Coileain.


This shot in the arm proved fruitful for David Nelson's outfit and two further points from the placed ball from Cormac McGuinness and Ruairi O Coileain gave them a two-point cushion at the half-time interval.

After the restart, Emmet Og created a number of opportunities to earn parity in the early stages but failed to take their chances. O'Mahonys for their part took their chances and in the 35th minute stretched their lead to three with a well-taken point from Shane Gillespie.

Soon after Emmet Og instigated their gallant revival and their Meath opponents folded. Killoe's main playmaker Mickey Quinn, who worked tirelessly all afternoon, got their wheels in motion with a fine individual effort from long range and this score was the catalyst for four unanswered points to put them ahead by the slimmest of margins.

Their towering midfielder Simon Kiernan stepped up to the plate with a brace of points during this incredible period of play for the hosts and while O'Mahonys did try to penetrate Emmet Og rearguard in the closing minutes, their full-back line held tight and snuffed out the potential danger to secure a semi-final date against Portlaoise in O'Moore Park.

GAA Newsletter

Expert GAA analysis straight to your inbox.

ScoreRs - Emmet Og: S McCormack 0-4 (2f), D McGoldrick 0-3, S Kiernan 0-2, M Quinn & J McCormack 0-1 each. O'Mahonys: R O Coileain 1-3 (2f), S Gillespie 0-2, C McGuinness 0-1.

Emmet Og - C Burns; L Hughes, P McCormack, D Keogh; J McCormack, M Quinn, C Farrelly; P Thompson, S Kiernan; D McGoldrick, D Mimnagh, P Kiernan; L Moran, S McCormak, M Hughes. Subs: E Clarke for L Moran (34), S Clarke for P McCormack (53), L Moran for D McGoldrick (57).

Navan O'Mahonys - M Brennan; J O'Reilly, N McKeigue, D Smyth; B Dillon, D Maguire, G O'Brien; C McGuinness, K Reilly; R O Coilean, S Bray, A Forde; S Gillespie, D Bray, J Regan.Subs: S MacGabhann for N McKeigue (45), H Finnegan for D Bray (49), R Maguire for J Regan (49).

Ref - B Cawley (Kildare)

Indo Sport

The Throw-In: Tipp throw off the shackles while Kilkenny’s soul-searching begins

In association with Bord Gáis Energy

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport