Friday 20 April 2018

Premier pile on agony for Ryan

Tipperary 1-13
Wexford 0-15

Jackie Cahill at Semple Stadium

ON an afternoon of All-Ireland senior football championship shocks, Peter Creedon's Tipperary stunned Wexford at Semple Stadium yesterday.

A one-point defeat for the Slaneysiders leaves the future of manager Jason Ryan very much in doubt. The Waterford native has spent five seasons at the helm but his side are out, just a fortnight after running Dublin desperately close in the Leinster semi-final.

Ben Brosnan could have taken the tie into extra-time but he was off target with an injury-time shot from distance -- and Tipp held out.

Wexford came from seven points down to draw level with 16 minutes of normal time remaining. The momentum was with them but Tipp responded with real character -- moving two points clear three times before the finish.

On each occasion, Wexford responded to get within a point but time ran out -- and perhaps too on Ryan's spell in charge.

Ten minutes before half-time the impressive Michael Quinlivan, a 2011 All-Ireland minor medallist, kicked a score to send Tipp 1-6 to 0-2 clear.

The goal, incidentally, was a superbly-improvised effort from Donagh Leahy in the 14th minute. The Arravale Rovers man collected a pass from captain Philip Austin before he was promptly dumped on his backside. Tipp waited for a penalty but referee Michael Duffy did not whistle and a grounded Leahy somehow managed to get a left-footed shot into the roof of the net.

Wexford had their chances too as Tipp goalkeeper Paul Fitzgerald kept out PJ Banville, before Red Barry's follow-up was diverted out for a '45.

And before half-time, Quinlivan and Richie Ryan had chances to add a second goal for Tipp.

After falling seven points behind, Wexford rallied impressively with a run of four unanswered scores before the break to trail by 0-6 to 1-6 at the short whistle.

Tipp opened the second half with two points but Wexford hit back with another four without reply as Peter Creedon's winners went 10 minutes without a score.

Michael Quinlivan's point in the 50th minute was Tipp's first score for 10 minutes of play but it was just temporary relief.

A pair of Shane Roche frees had Wexford level by the 54th minute -- 0-12 to 1-9 -- before man of the match Brian Fox edged Tipp ahead again. Roche palmed the ball onto the crossbar from a Barry free soon after as the play switched to the other end of the pitch at a rapid rate.

Alan Maloney popped over a score as Tipp moved two clear again but Wexford were not about to die and the sides traded score for score until the finish, with Tipp holding out for a dramatic win.

Scorers -- Tipperary: M Quinlivan 0-4 (1f); D Leahy 1-0; P Austin, B Fox, A Maloney (2f) 0-2 each; A Campbell, H Coghlan, P Acheson 0-1 each.

Wexford: S Roche 0-5 (3f); R Barry 0-4 (3f, 1 '45); PJ Banville 0-3; C Lyng 0-2; B Brosnan 0-1.

Tipperary: P Fitzgerald; A Morrissey, P Codd, C McDonald; B Fox, R Kiely, A Campbell; G Hannigan, H Coghlan; R Ryan, B Mulvihill, D Leahy; M Quinlivan, P Austin, P Acheson. Subs: A Maloney for Mulvihill (35), S Scully for Ryan (51), A Matassa for Scully (65), B Mulvihill for Austin (66), L Egan for Quinlivan (70).

Wexford: A Masterson; G Molloy, L Chin, R Tierney; B Malone, D Murphy, A Doyle; A Flynn, D Waters; R Barry, C Morris, C Carty; PJ Banville, C Lyng, S Roche. Subs: P Byrne for C Carty (44), B Brosnan for Morris (44), E Bradley for Roche (60), N Murphy for Doyle (70).

Referee: Ml Duffy (Sligo)

Sunday Indo Sport

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport