Saturday 18 November 2017

Mayo enjoy super Sunday

O'Connor injury only sour note as minors and seniors revel in double delight

Aidan O’Shea celebrates after Mayo’s win against Tyrone
Aidan O’Shea celebrates after Mayo’s win against Tyrone
Cillian O’Connor leaves the field after a shoulder injury
Jubilant fans watch their team secure a place in the All-Ireland final
Jubilant Mayo fans watch their team secure a place in the All-Ireland final
Mayo’s Aidan O’Shea commiserates with Sean Cavanagh of Tyrone
Tyrone supporters Niall and Rory Doonan
Mayo supporters in the Cusack Stand, celebrate after the Mayo goal was scored.
Alan Freeman scores the Mayo goal from the penalty spot.
Mayo captain Stephen Coen celebrates as the players leave the pitch
Mayo supporter Henrietta O'Connell, from Kiltimagh, Co. Mayo, celebrates a score.
The Mayo team during the parade prior to their victory over Tyrone
Tyrone players Joe McMahon, 12, Cathal McCarron, 4, Dermot Carlin, left, and Conor Gormley remonstrate with referee Maurice Deegan after he awarded a penelty to Mayo
Mark Donnelly, Tyrone, in action against Enda Varley and Keith Higgins, Mayo.
Conor Gormley, Tyrone, kicks the ball in frustration after Alan Freeman scored a goal for Mayo. The goal was subsequently disallowed and a free kick awarded to Mayo.
Mayo supporters Nuala Connolly, centre, from Kilmaine, and her friends Laura Muldoon, from Mulranny, and Hanna Callaghan, from Achil, send good wishes to their mother's from the Davin stand of Croke Park.
Bertie Ahern and his brother Maurice find seats as Taoiseach Enda Kenny, right, speaks with Pat Rabbitte
Martin Breheny

Martin Breheny

A shoulder injury sustained by top scorer Cillian O'Connor was the only blemish on an otherwise perfect day for Mayo football in Croke Park yesterday as their seniors and minors booked in for All-Ireland final action on September 22.

O'Connor was taken to the Mater Hospital after being forced off after 11 minutes with a recurrence of the should injury first sustained shortly after last year's All-Ireland final. He damaged it again in late May but returned in the Connacht final where he scored 3-3 before adding 3-4 against Donegal in the All-Ireland quarter-final.

However, he is now doubtful for the final which is a worry for Mayo, even if they do have a very strong squad which was underlined yesterday by fine performances from subs Enda Varley, Michael Conroy, Cathal Carolan and Richie Feeney.

Tyrone suffered injury blows too, losing Peter Harte after just six minutes and captain Stephen O'Neill 20 minutes later, departures which seriously weakened them.

However, Tyrone still led by four points after 32 minutes before Mayo scored three points in five minutes to haul themselves back into contention. A controversial penalty awarded early in the second half yielded a Mayo goal from Alan Freeman and the Connacht champions powered on from there.

"We always fancy ourselves to get stronger as the game progresses. We saw that today," said Mayo manager James Horan.

Mayo are back in the final in successive seasons for the first time since 1996-97 and now await the winners of next Sunday's second semi-final between Dublin and Kerry as they attempt to end a 62-year wait for an All-Ireland crown.

Horan's men will be joined in the title pursuit by the Mayo minors, who easily beat Monaghan in the semi-final. That victory also came at a price as Mayo wing-forward Cian Hanley fractured a collarbone and, like O'Connor, was taken to the Mater Hospital.

Indo Sport

Promoted Links

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport