Tuesday 16 January 2018

Light training the secret of DCU success - Moyna

DCU 2-17 NUI Maynooth 0-7 John Fallon Sigerson Cup

DCU manager Niall Moyna revealed the secret of their runaway success on Saturday -- train less but make it count.

The victorious manager said that they had put the emphasis on playing games as they followed up their O'Byrne Cup success by posting the biggest winning margin in the Sigerson Cup final since 1969.

"In the last five weeks we have trained four times. There is this whole thing that you have to do lots and lots of training. We played our O'Byrne Cup and Sigerson Cup games, met once a week and gave them a whole week off," he said.

Of course, having a star-studded squad at his disposal also played a big part -- they could afford to leave Donegal captain Michael Murphy and Sligo attacker David Kelly on the bench until the second half -- but Moyna said that it was testimony to the work done in the college over the years.

The champions got off to a good start and went in at the interval 0-6 to 0-4 ahead having played against the wind. They pushed on after the break, with Dublin stars Eoghan O'Gara and Paul Flynn leading the way for a side who scored all bar a single point from play.

Maynooth manager John Divilly said that his charges took too long to get into the game, but he acknowledged the depth of talent that DCU had.

"Our semi-final win over UCC probably took a lot out of us and we just never got going," he said. "In fairness, DCU have some squad."

DCU, bidding for their third title in seven years, were quickly out of the traps and led by 0-5 to 0-1 after just 14 minutes, with Dean Rock and David Keenan impressing.

Maynooth, appearing in their first final since they won their only crown in 1976, rallied before the break, and points from Mickey Newman, David Dalton and David Quinn gave them some hope.

But that disappeared inside four minutes of the restart as points from O'Gara and Kelly were followed by a goal from Flynn, when he flicked home a '45' from Rock. Kelly sealed the deal 12 minutes from the time when he raised the green flag after good approach work from Rock.

SCORERS -- DCU: P Flynn 1-3, D Kelly 1-1, D Rock (1f), E O'Gara 0-4 each, D Keenan 0-3, G Sweeney, M Murphy 0-1 each. NUI Maynooth: M Newman 0-2 (1f), D Dalton, D Quinn, T Moolick, P Cahillane, C Berrigan 0-1 each.

DCU -- M Boyle; P McMahon, K Gavin, E Culligan; J McCarthy, J Cooper, N Collins; F O Shea, C Begley; P Flynn, D Rock, D Keenan; J Brady, E O'Gara, A McFadden. Subs: D Kelly for Brady (30), M Murphy for Keenan (40), G Sweeney for Rock (49), R Hennelly for Boyle (54), F O Curraoin for O'Gara (57).

NUI Maynooth -- S Connolly; D Dalton; K O'Brien, K Lynch; T Moolick, J McDermott, S Denvir; C Berrigan, C Brophy; M Newman, S Hurley, C Mullins; P Cahillane, J Califf, David Quinn (Na Fianna). Subs: S Fahey for Califf (34), T Johnson for Denvir (37), David Quinn (Lucan) for Berrigan (45), W Ryan for Lynch (48), P O Griofa for Mullins (52).

Ref -- J McQuillan (Cavan).

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport