| 4.3°C Dublin

Leinster U-20 FC round up

Dublin 1-17 Wicklow 1-7


The sides were level again at 1-5 each before Dublin started to pull away. (stock photo)

The sides were level again at 1-5 each before Dublin started to pull away. (stock photo)


The sides were level again at 1-5 each before Dublin started to pull away. (stock photo)

Dominant Dubs power through to face Longford

Dublin booked a second-round date with Longford after dispatching Wicklow at Aughrim.

Wicklow needed to build up a cushion in the first half with a gale-force wind at their backs but instead they trailed by 1-8 to 1-5 at the break.

There was a whirlwind start to the match with Eoin Darcy hooking the ball to the net from the edge of the square for a Wicklow goal after four minutes. But Dublin swept upfield immediately for an equalising goal by wingback Adam Fearon, who was Dublin's star player until he had to leave the field injured after 24 minutes.

The sides were level again at 1-5 each before Dublin started to pull away. With the wind behind them in the second half, Dublin were expected to canter away, but Wicklow mounted a strong defence. At the three-quarter stage Dublin had only increased their lead to 1-11 to 1-7, but they kicked on from there to emerge as decisive winners.

Scorers - Dublin: A Fearon 1-0, C Archer 0-4 (f), L Swan 0-3 (f), K McKeon, P Purcell 0-2, A Murphy, M Lavin, S Foran, R Dwyer, C O'Reilly, L O'Dell 0-1 each. Wicklow: E Darcy 1-1 (0-1 '45), M Ging 0-2, K Quinn, J Hedderman, E Byrne, J Keogh 0-1 each.

Dublin - J O'Neill, A Murphy, A Rafter, J Bannon, R Dwyer, A Waddick, A Fearon, K McGinnis, E Caulfield, M Lavin, L O'Dell, S Foran, C Archer, L Swan, K McKeon. Subs: A Quinn for A Fearon (24), P Purcell for S Foran (38), C O'Reilly for K McKeon (56), L Murphy-Guinane for M Lavin (59).

Wicklow - W Rodgers, T Moran, C O Gallobhair, C McDonald, Z Cullen, P O'Keane, G Fogarty, K Quinn, E Byrne, A Maher, O McGraynor, J Hedderman, M Ging, J Keogh, E Darcy. Subs: C Coffey for J Hedderman (h-t), S Daly for O McGraynor, P Murray for A Maher (50), C Maguire for C Coffey (59), J Dunne for K Quinn (59).

Ref - J Hickey (Carlow).


Offaly2-6 Louth 0-9

Offaly advanced to the Leinster U-20 quarter-finals with a three-point win over Louth in Dunleer, thanks to a brace of goals in either half from Sean Courtney.

Courtney was a late addition and his goals proved the difference.

Louth started brighter, opening up a three-point lead through two Carl Gillespie frees and a mark. Courtney wiped out Louth's lead when he struck for his first goal on 15 minutes having been played in by Mikey Cunningham.

Gillespie added to his tally as Louth held a two-point advantage at half-time, 0-6 to 1-1.

Gillespie pointed the first score of the second half but Courtney wiped it out with a flick to the net.

Offaly took the lead in the 36th minute when Aaron Kellaghan pointed. They never looked back, with Cunningham clipping over a point and Kellaghan landing the last two points of the game.

SCORERS - Offaly: S Courtney 2-0, A Kellaghan 0-3 (1f), C Delaney, C Flynn, M Cunningham 0-1 each. Louth: C Gillespie 0-7 (4f, 1m), L Matthews, C Keenan 0-1 each.

Louth - M McEnaney; D McKenny, P Lynch, B Butterly; T Jackson, C Murphy, A Connor; C Quigley, E Whelan; D Nally, C Keenan, C McCaul; L Matthews, G Stewart, C Gillespie. Subs: S Healy for Quigley (ht), B Collier for Whelan (39), C Lennon for Gillespie (56), C Shevlin for Lynch (58) D Malone for McCaul (61), C Garland for Stewart (64).

Offaly - S O'Toole; F Dempsey, A Bolger, C Keena; L Pearson, A Bracken, A Brazil; Bill Carroll, C Donoghue; C Flynn, C Delaney, K McDermott; M Cunningham, A Kellaghan, S Courtney. Subs: S Flynn for Delaney (49).

Ref - B Tiernan (Dublin).

Irish Independent