Wednesday 21 August 2019

Lacklustre Kildare given major scare by fast-finishing Wicklow

Kildare 0-15 Wicklow 1-10

Paddy Brophy of Kildare in action against Shane Mooney of Wicklow during Leinster GAA Football Senior Championship Round 1 match between Wicklow and Kildare at Netwatch Cullen Park in Carlow. Photo by Matt Browne/Sportsfile
Paddy Brophy of Kildare in action against Shane Mooney of Wicklow during Leinster GAA Football Senior Championship Round 1 match between Wicklow and Kildare at Netwatch Cullen Park in Carlow. Photo by Matt Browne/Sportsfile

Sean McGoldrick

HAVING fallen at the first hurdle to Carlow in last year's Leinster championship, Kildare were rightfully cautious about tonight's first round encounter against Wicklow. And they have every right to be as they fell over the line against Division 4 side side Wicklow at Netwatch Cullen Park in Carlow.

Cian O'Neill's side appeared to be strolling to a routine victory when they led by six points on the hour mark. But then Darren Hayden's goal rocked them and they were less than convincing coming down the final stretch adding just a single point from a free. Indeed, but for three missed chances in that period Wicklow could have at least taken the contest to extra time.

Kildare now meet Longford in a quarter final tie in two weeks' time. For Wicklow, who reached the provincial quarter-final in 2018 after beating Offaly, it's a four week break until the first round of the qualifiers.

Tradition favoured Kildare as they had only ever lost to Wicklow on two occasions in the Leinster championship in 2008 and 1990 – the latter defeat proved a seminal one as it resulted in Kildare recruiting Mick O'Dwyer who ultimately guided them to two Leinster titles and an All-Ireland final appearance in 1998.

The early exchanges were competitive, though both teams were guilty of playing too much football in the middle third of the field. Wicklow set up defensively keeping just two players up front when Kildare had the ball.

The sides shared the six points all from play with Kildare Ben McCormack and Wicklow's Mark Kenny each kicking a brace in the first 12 minutes.

Right from the start Mark Jackson was finding it difficult to find his men with his kick-outs and Kildare's Kevin Feely made five eye-catching marks in midfield.

They kicked four points – two from frees and a 45 - on the spin to establish a 6-3 advantage though they appeared to be getting the rub of the green when it came to the 50/50 refereeing decisions.

GAA Newsletter

Expert GAA analysis straight to your inbox.

With Wicklow finding it increasingly difficult to keep possession from their own kick outs – they lost six of their 16 first half kick-outs - Kildare took control. They kicked four successive wides before Eoghan O'Flaherty ended a 10 minute scoreless spell with a pointed free in the 30th minute and he added another soon afterwards after Feely won another Wicklow re-start.

Wicklow's Conor McGraynor converted a free in the 32nd minute for his side's first score in 20 minutes. It left the Division 4 side trailing by five points at the break (0-9; 0-4). But the wides tally of 7-3 in favour of Kildare was as revealing about the pattern of the game as the scoreboard.

There was no discernible change in the pattern of play in the third quarter with Kildare failing to convert their territorial advantage into scores though Tyrell ( free) and corner-back David Hyland did hit points with Theo Smith replying with a rare score for Wicklow.

Midfielder Dean Healy showed commendable initiative by weaving his way through the Kildare defence but his rasping shot flew across and face of the goal and went wide in the 43rd minute. But he had shown what he was capable of. With ten minutes left and Kildare now leading by six points the team captain again split the Wicklow defence with a brilliant run before off-loading to Darren Hayden who blasted to the net.

Patrick O'Connor hit his second point of the contest to narrow the gap to two with eight minutes left but then it was Wicklow's turn to squander chances with goalkeeper Mark Jackson missing two frees and Mark Kenny also missing a point chance.

A free from substitute Neil Flynn left it a three point game again before Wicklow substitute Daniel Keane gave his side hope again with a point in the fourth minute of injury time. But Cian O'Neill's side out held out – though not particularly convincingly.


Kildare: M Donnellan; M Dempsey, M Hyland, D Hyland (0-1); P Kelly, E Doyle, K Cribbin; K Feely, F Conway (0-1); D Slattery, B McCormack (0-2), E O'Flaherty (0-4, 3f, 1 45), A Tyrell (0-5, 4f), P Brophy (0-1), J Hyland. Subs: C O'Donoghue for Cribben; N Flynn (0-1,1f) for O'Flaherty both 49m, C Hartley for McCormack 55m, T Moolick for Slattery 60m, J Hughes for Tyrrell 63m

Wicklow: M Jackson (0-1, 1f); E Murtagh, R O'Brien, J Snell; D Deveraux, S Mooney, D Fitzgerald; D Healy (0-1), P O'Toole (0-1); D Hayden (1-0), A McLoughlin, T Smith (0-1); M Kenny (0-2), C McGraynor (0-1, 1f), P O'Connor (0-2). Subs: C McGee for McLoughlin ht; C O'Brien for McGraynor 44m, O Manning for Mooney 47m; D Keane (0-1) or Hayden 68m; S Kieron for O'Toole 70 +1

Referee: Noel Mooney (Cavan)

Online Editors

The Throw-In: Tipp throw off the shackles while Kilkenny’s soul-searching begins

In association with Bord Gáis Energy

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport